Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New old stock timing belt: use or not?

Hello, I've got a genuine Subaru 2.2L timing belt for my '96 that I never used. I've had the belt in the garage for about five years.

My '94 now needs a timing belt and it uses the same belt. Should I just go ahead and use this belt, or would it be best to just purchase a new belt? Thanks.

'Tis the reason for the inspection. I should elaborate.

If you start bending the belt around and cracks start to appear, then toss it and buy a new one.

The main reason rubber degrades is exposure. Exposure to sunlight, heat, chemicals, and of all things Ozone. If stored properly rubber can be stored for ten to fifteen years and still be like new. Now I doubt this belt was stored in such a way that it would last that long, (probably just hung on a hook or stuffed in the bottom of a box somewhere) but it was still for the most part away from sunlight, and kept at a somewhat regular temperature.

For the price I'd just buy a new one.

Even if you do the work yourself (possibly twice) the inconvenience of possibly having the car die on the road, getting it home, not being able to plan when that will happen, just isn't worth what 20-30 bucks?

Even if you think you work cheap. Possibly doing something twice and possibly spending that money anyways doesn't make sense to me at all.

If you're married imagine the abuse. "You just fixed this car and now it's broken" or similar statements. It'd be worth more money than the belt to not have to hear that replay often.

YMMV.

I'd pitch it.

Great thanks for the suggestions. First I have to find the belt to inspect it haha, I know I saw it in the garage a couple years ago. I think it's been on a top shelf so it has probably been exposed to some heat but not sunlight. I don't do much ozone generating activities in the garage.

What I'm thinking of getting is the PCI timing kit for the '94 so I can do all the pulleys, etc. I think that kit usually includes a belt, hopefully of reasonably good quality.

I get their kits all the time. Then I source a Dayco belt locally. But the belts seem decent enough - especially for non interference.

I get the belt locally for the smae price and am also picking up a WP, plugs, accessory belts, etc.

I wouldnt be afraid to use it. It can't be any different than sitting on a parts shelf for so long.

Exactly. It could have been on the shelf to begin with for years before he bought it.

It's still double aged. At the parts store and his shelf.

It's just playing the odds. And even though a simple job. Better when it's planned and only done one time - atleast to me. We're talking what - the cost of a few fancy cups of coffee or happy meals?

If it were a beater for me to run locally I think I'd still spring for the new belt.

Thanks for the help. I found the belt. It was still in the box. It looks like new. I've noticed some Subaru parts have a date on them but I didn't see any date on this item. The belt looks perfect. I know Subaru says heat is a big enemy of timing belts. This belt happened to be in the upstairs of the garage which was probably the worst spot for it. In the summer it is probably 110+ degrees up there.

I think I will use it, especially if the PCI timing components are available without the timing belt (ie just the pulleys and tensioner). The '94 needs a lot of work to get it back on the road for winter.

Yes I'm sure it is pretty toasty in there when the engine is running. I was just thinking more in terms of storage it was the worst spot to store it, up in the hot garage attic.

The bonus this timing belt has is that it had no tension on it the whole time like it would have if it were installed. And it's not oil soaked. :lol:

i'd use it. i doubt Subaru is cranking out belts for XT6's and other 1980's stuff on a regular basis.

i've seen oil soaked belts break in like 5,000 miles, that breaks them down quick. but that was a spewing crank seal, not just leaking. timing belt was literally soaked.

You can definately get the PCI kits without the belts. But often it's cheaper if you get the entire kit and throw away the belt.

They are actully fairly priced on the new style tensioners as well.

I did install one of their MitsubOshi belts a few years ago on a 95 2.2 swap with the future owner's knowledge. As far as I know it's o.k.

But being the paranoid sort I have a few of them here because I wouldn't risk one on an interference engine.

Thanks, I think I probably will end up using it, esp since it is non-interference. Now I just need to find the good kit with all the idlers and if possible no belt. I was looking at rockauto. I know some people were getting the kits off eBay.

I could go with the water pump too if I know the one in the kit would be better than leaving the original Subaru pump in there. It's got about 110k miles on it.

Thanks, I think I probably will end up using it, esp since it is non-interference. Now I just need to find the good kit with all the idlers and if possible no belt. I was looking at rockauto. I know some people were getting the kits off eBay.

I could go with the water pump too if I know the one in the kit would be better than leaving the original Subaru pump in there. It's got about 110k miles on it.

"theimportexperts" on ebay have the kits with the tbelt. they also have a retail store, so if you call them you can buy what ever you want. just know the price of another kit when you are talking to them so you can make a good decision at that time and not have to call back. i did this and i assume i got the "ebay" price but i never did the math to be sure. but i did get the parts i wanted and 25k miles later it's still running great. 97 GT (96 2.2L swap).

Edited by johnceggleston