Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suzanne. It's not really you need a latch, you need it TO latch. Already lots of parts there. It could be the handle broken. It could be the rusty spring froze up. Lot's of these things just need taken apart, cleaned/freed and put back together. If you know what part is bad that is good.

Suzanne. It's not really you need a latch, you need it TO latch. Already lots of parts there. It could be the handle broken. It could be the rusty spring froze up. Lot's of these things just need taken apart, cleaned/freed and put back together. If you know what part is bad that is good.

I agree with above advise. If it is your tail gate squeeze handle that is "sticking," then lube it with spray grease to free it up. In my case, this worked for a few months, then the rust would return, and it would need greased again. Finally, I replaced the squeeze hand unit last year. Subaru part number 62150AA211. Cost $22, plus $10 to ship, from Lee's Summit Subaru in Missouri. Their website is: http://www.leessummitsubaru.com. Other on line car parts stores prolly sell as well. Installation of new squeeze handle is rather easy.

Suzanne, this is a rather common problem with Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. If you check the archives here, you will see a bunch more written about this problem and fix in previous postings.

Edited by Rooster2
added more info

Yes the rust really does a number on those. It's very rusty on my three soobs. I just keep soaking the whole mechanism with penephite a couple times a year and that keeps them pretty well freed up. When I bought them the handle was pretty much inoperable. The parts right from Subaru aren't too expensive if you want to replace the handle and metal bracket that is underneath there.