Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 auto tranny to 5 speed d/r swap

What is the biggest obsticle? This is on an 85 that has a 4wd auto tranny.

I have done a fwd auto to 4 speed d/r swap on a ea81 era car, all by my lonesome. I know what's involved, just wondering if the ea82 is equally straight forward. My main worry is, Is the tunnel big enough or does it need hammering and/or cutting?

the hole for the stick need to be cut bigger, this i understand.

I need your imput to decide to buy or not.

Very straight forward. Just plug and play. Biggest hiccup I ran into when we did that on my brother's 87 was the starter interlock. I shorted two wires on the connector at the AT shifter box on the floor to get the starter to work.

Very straight forward. Just plug and play. Biggest hiccup I ran into when we did that on my brother's 87 was the starter interlock. I shorted two wires on the connector at the AT shifter box on the floor to get the starter to work.

Thats with any auto to manual swap...the inhibitor switch that keeps you from starting it in any gear other than park or neutral. You just have to jump two wires (the big ones if i remember right) together.

I did this not too long ago with my daughter for her build. Very straight forward and the shifter is plug and play also. All of the bolt holes for the shifter boot even line up. She runs great. The only hiccup we had was a problem with the kick down relay circuit. When she would depress the gas pedal too hard the fuse would blow. We ended up finding out which wire went to the computer and cutting it and the problem went away, but now she has a constant CEL. Guess we'll just have to live with that.

Good luck