Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'00 Outback front brakes fit a '96 Legacy?

Hello. Does anyone know off hand if the front brakes from an '00 Outback will fit on a '96 Legacy (i.e. if the caliper brackets and rotors will match up). (Wheel clearance is not an issue in this case.)

I'm thinking of taking my '00 Outback's front brakes, and putting those on the '96 Legacy. The '96 I put Outback struts and lift springs on and Outback size tires, but with those larger tires the original single pot fronts are just barely adequate.

Then I was going to get '01 Outback front brakes for the '00, which have a slightly larger rotor.

I realize sometimes doing this is controversial because it puts more brake bias to the front of the vehicle.

yep, that swap will work just fine. you'll need the brackets, calipers, and rotors from the OBW. jamal has a fantastic brake interchange/swap thread that i saved, it's extremely helpful with all of subaru's frequent changes and tweaks.

ignore the "brake bias" comments and do it, simple upgrades are great on all sorts of subarus. drum to disk and smaller disc to larger..etc.

Excellent, thanks for the info grossgary. I will give it a go.

The '00 brakes are in good shape, and the '96 badly needs upgraded fronts for the larger tires. So I figured I could get bigger brakes onto them both by doing this three way swap. I might just get calipers at carquest, they're only like $70 there and they come with the brackets ready to go.