Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sweet Success.....almost done....but

I fixed the oil pump leak and got the Legacy started and took it for a it's maiden voyage this morning!!!! :banana: WOOOOHOOOO!!! Only one problem left to overcome now. The passenger side CV/halfshaft is shot. I tried to take the axle nut loose with no success. I twisted the end off my 1/2 inch craftsman breakover bar using a 4 foot cheater on it, still didn't budge the nut. I used my impact wrench with no success either:mad:. Yes I did bend up the tab. Any ideas on what I can do to get it loose?

I assume it is standard thread and not left handed or something goofy like that. I tried both directions multiple times with no success.

I'm off to sears for a replacement breakover bar, I'll check to see if anyone has any ideas when I return.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. It's such a relief to have it running and drivable.

That's GREAT news--congratulations, Robert! :banana:

Try again on the axle nut (it's standard thread.) If it doesn't happen, take it to a shop and see if they'll just break it loose for you for a coupla' bucks--then retighten it enough to get home safely.

Good luck!

SOAK IT with PB Blaster. Let it soak for 10 or 15 minutes.. Hit it with the 1/2" drive electric impact gun. Works every time for me. I twisted off so many 1/2" Craftsmens it wasn't even funny.

Cool, I'll pick up a can on the way home, and spray it while I'm home at lunch. I haven't tried my electric impact, I assumed that my air impact would have more torque, but I'll give anything a try at this point. Thanks

BTW, I checked with a local garage on getting this loosened.

$55/hour one hour minimum, unless it took less than 10 minutes, then they would only charge $27. Otherwise they would work on it until they got it loose and charge the hourly rate for however long it took.....I said thanks but no thanks :eek:

BTW, I checked with a local garage on getting this loosened.

$55/hour one hour minimum, unless it took less than 10 minutes, then they would only charge $27. Otherwise they would work on it until they got it loose and charge the hourly rate for however long it took.....I said thanks but no thanks :eek:

You can almost feel that it will take them longer than 10 minutes, no matter what. I can see the reality of taking 5 minutes to break loose the bolt, then another 10 minutes for a "smoke break," so charge the customer $55, because it took longer then 10 minutes!

Tried PB Blaster with both the air impact and electric impact. My dad is convinced I won't break his 40 year old 1/2 inch breaker bar, but I'm not so sure :) Tonight I will apply much heat and try the impact wrenches again. Then if that doesn't work I will go to harbor freight and get a 3/4 inch breaker bar with a set of impact sockets.

Do yourself a favor in the long run. Go to Sears and get your 3/4" drive stuff. It'll cost more but the quality is far above what you'll get at HF. The no-hassle warranty is worth the price alone.

Also, you were using air gun. If it's a cheapo, they throw less torque than better ones. I had one that came with my first compressor (Campbell-Hausfield) and it wouldn't even break lug nuts sometime. I went to Home Depot and bought a Husky for about $100. It works excellently and never fails me no matter how I abuse it. There have been very few nuts or bolts that it didn't get off.

Finally, after an electric impact, an air impact, 2 broken 1/2" breaker bars, PB Blaster......I got it off, A guy at work had a 3/4" breaker bar, and I went and bought a socket......SUCCESS!!!! And just in the nick of time too, I borrowed my father's truck for the last couple of weeks while I was working on the Subaru....I stopped on the way home in it tonight to pick up a prescription, when I came back out it wouldn't start :banghead: So now when I get the CV axle tomorrow and put it in, I have to go help him put a timing chain in his pickup. When it rains it pours, but that's life!!!

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions, I'll continue to visit and maybe as I learn more about the Subaru, I can begin to contribute and help others as well!!!!

I got the CV in, the new wheel covers on, washed it, and took it for a spin last night. 241,000 miles on the car and it drives with no shakes, shimmies, or rattles!!!! 115,000 on the engine and it is as strong and as smooth as most new cars I've driven. I do have a short in the headlight circuit, but they did come on, they just flicker occasionally.

Here's my total cost...

Car $400

Plugs $11

Oil and Filter $20

Knock Sensor $58

Battery $50

Used Engine $175

Antifreeze $11

Oil Seal $10

O-Ring $5

Exhaust Gaskets $18

Tire $65

Wheel Covers $16

CV $60

Misc $30

Total $929 :clap::clap:

Today is my first day driving it as my daily driver...wish me luck!!!:grin:

Edited by jensen0510

Congratulations!!:banana::banana:

It is a good feeling to get one up & running yourself, isnt it? :)

I am sure you will probably run across a few other "bugs" that need working out (like the headlight issue), but once you do you know what you have! Take good care of her and she will last many, many more miles.

chances are pretty good that your headlight problem is the socket. they get old a crack. the one on my 95 was so bad it i was calling it sparky before i changed it. i had planned on using one from my donor parts car, but ended up fixing while at the beach. 3$ generic part from advance auto and some butt connectors. it's not often you get both cheap and easy on car repair.

congrats on the daily driver.