Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Difficulty shifting into reverse (manual trans.)

I have a '91 Loyale with 150k miles, and I'm a novice auto mechanic.

Sometimes it is difficult to shift the manual transmission into reverse. This is an issue whether the car is running or not. It used to happen rarely, but has been occurring with increasing frequency lately. Usually moving the shifter in and out of some of the other gears and then coming back to reverse helps to solve the problem. But sometimes it can take several minutes of fiddling to finally get it into reverse.

Is this likely a problem within the gearbox itself, or something in the linkage that I might be able to investigate on my own?

I'm worried that if it continues to get worse I will eventually end up in a situation where I won't be able to get into reverse at all?

Thanks in advance for replies.

How much travel is there in your clutch pedal before it starts to feel "tight?" You might be able to adjust it a little bit.. Does the shifter have any play it or is it pretty stable still? Also, next time it's giving you trouble.. stick it first and roll forward a couple of inches.. it may be the reverse gear is just a touch "out of synch."