Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 EA71 swap

filonin_2

So I am getting my dad's old Subie wagon and it has a bad transmission and it won't pass smog anymore. I am looking to swap in a newer fuel injected motor and to keep the 4wd as I want to use it for offroading. How does an EJ18, 20, or 22 sound? I have heard that they should bolt into the chassis, but what transmission should I use to keep the 4wd? Rear diff? Thanks!

That sounds like an awesome project, i'd love to get my hands on a super old subie like that and throw in a 2.2 or somethin like that. As far as the tranny issue goes does the car have the original 4WD tranny with Hi/Lo? If so perhaps an adapter plate can be made or purchased? Or you could always use a 5 speed Hi/Lo from a EA82 car and use that adapter plate, and have a new driveshaft built for it? Sounds fun, can't wait to see pics!

It does have the original hi/lo trans, but it's toast, which is the main reason it's being swapped, second being it needs a carb rebuild to pass smog. I know I have to notch the frame rails, what I really need to know is if the original motor mounts will work. I have decided on the Phase I EJ22 BTW.

ha ha yeah after i posted that i read that the tranny was fried sorry! I am currently doing a EJ22 swap from a 90' Legacy into my 85' Gl Wagon and i was just thinkin that you could probably make the EA tranny work in your car, you'd just have to find one and get the adapter plate, and possibly have the driveshaft changed? For more information you should go to the member Numbchux for his write up on the conversion, it was awesome and explained everything i needed to know. I bet you'll dig it!

I have seen that writeup, do you know if it applies to a wagon as old as mine? I'm pretty sure it will be very similar, just looking for confirmation. I am also getting some conflicting info, but it seems a 4" lift will help clearance issues, right?

Edited by filonin_2

Correct. Nothing will bolt up to your trans that is any larger or that has fuel injection. The EA71 is the newest, largest engine that you can use without changing the transmission.

You will have wireing issues with any FI swap into that chassis. There is no speed sensor in the dash for example. The fuel system might be tricky as well and it definitely doesn't have tank baffles.

GD

You will have wireing issues with any FI swap into that chassis. There is no speed sensor in the dash for example. The fuel system might be tricky as well and it definitely doesn't have tank baffles.

GD

And also the tank won't have large enough return lines.

I am running into this on an 81 model.....the vent line I used as a return is small. seems to be making the fuel pressure higher than it should be (regulator can't dump off enough excess to keep the presusre down)

Changed how I had it hooked up a bit the other day. We'll see how it goes....but yeah.....

Don't be discouraged.....FI is possible, even without a VSS the FI will work fine. And with a brat, it would be easy to just put a tank in the bed if the vent/return line issue comes up.

I apologize as I wasn't clear, and the answer is almost certainly the same but I have to be sure, my transmission is also shot so I have to swap that too. So my question is, is there any FI engine/tranny combo that will bolt up without chassis modification into my '78 wagon? If worst comes to worst on the wiring, I know a guy who can do it for about $350, but I should be able to handle it.

I apologize as I wasn't clear, and the answer is almost certainly the same but I have to be sure, my transmission is also shot so I have to swap that too. So my question is, is there any FI engine/tranny combo that will bolt up without chassis modification into my '78 wagon? If worst comes to worst on the wiring, I know a guy who can do it for about $350, but I should be able to handle it.

You won't have to modify the "chassis" so to speak. You could probably almost directly bolt in an EA81, with a late 4spd D/R without any real problems. Then bolt SPFI onto that motor.

With a little crossmember and linkage mods, you could put in an EA82 5spd.

With an adapter plate and redrilled flywheel, you could bolt an EJ engine to either of those trans.

Or you could go with an EJ engine and a EJ AWD transmission, but at that point you end up needing custom axles.

Search and read about all the differnet projects people have done here and you will get more of an idea.

There will be issues with the steering linkage and the newer engine bell-housings trying to occupy the same space unless you go with an '81 Brat GL engine cross-member (very rare).

Exhaust will be tricky. Have to be custom for anything other than an EA81/EA82.

FI has all the fuel system and wireing issues.

Frame rails will have to be cut to fit any of the EJ engines or the EA82. EA81 will fit other than the steering linkage issues.

Any engine other than an EA71/EA81 must be carefully considered since maintenance on the engine is virtually impossible without pulling out it. Timing belts would be hard to access and forget about pulling the heads with the engine in the car.

There are LOTS of little fabrication steps that will go into any kind of swap - pitching stopper, transmission mounting (for a 5 speed D/R or EJ tranny), steering and shift linkage mods, custom exhaust, etc, etc.

It's no small task - don't underestimate a project of that magnitude. An FI EJ engine and tranny swap into a gen 1 has been done but it's less of putting a motor and tranny into a car and more of fitting an old body onto a new chassis. Virtually everything will change in some way.

The most direct and simplest swap would be a 5 speed D/R and an EA81 - add a cam, a Weber carb, etc and you could easily be looking at 100 HP vs. the stock 65. That's a considerable increase and wouldn't require much work at all. That's a light body and 100 HP will move along very nicely. Frankly an EJ22 into that light of a body is pretty dangerous without supporting suspension and braking modifications. I've done an EJ22 into a phase-II Brat and it's almost too much for the stock chassis. With suspension and brake work it can handle it but without all that it's very "unrefined".

GD

I'm not even looking for a power increase really. That old car never once got stuck when I was a child with the stock motor, which is enough for me. I just would like to put a newer motor in so it will pass smog easier. Since you say the ea81 motor will basically bolt in with the late model d/r trans, I'll go with that. Unfortunately, I can't add fuel injection to a motor that didn't come with it because I'm in california. I just need to get this car on the road and reliable as I need it as my second car and for hauling supplies for my foundry project.