Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all new here and need some help had this car about a month and the air ride problems started I want to raise the car with new struts and springs not air and from what I have been reading outback struts will fit correct but that i need some other stuff { searched for replacing 90 legacy wagon air suspension} no results any help or were to look to find the info thanks ps first Subaru great running car only 150,000 miles been sitting for a while before i got it from what i've been reading that might be why my problem started thanks Bill

I forget the details of removing the air off hand, but you should be able to use say 96-98 Outback struts. If it has ABS you might have to just zip tie the wire to the strut. The front strut mounts (top) should be the same. The rears are most likely different so you'll need to reuse your existing rear top mounts or get new ones (or drill extra holes in the rear to fit the Outback top mounts). You might need camber bolts in the rear too if your camber goes too positive for your liking afterward (and possibly one in the top hole as well on the front if you can't dial the camber down enough with the stock bolt). I think the KYB catalog has some brief details on what can be done using KYB struts in removing the air susp.

thanks for the reply it does have abs so if I order 96-98 Outback struts matching springs and matching year rear top strut strut mounts I should be good to go have a long commute to work and the 84 chevy van aint cutting it the subbie is the newest car I have ever owned and it is like a cadiliac it has all the bells and whistles for its time :)

matching year rear top strut strut mounts

The strut mounts for the rear need to match the year of the car. I believe that era has a two stud mount, whereas the later years (95+) use a different three stud mount that is different for left and right. You don't necessarily have to buy new mounts if your existing mounts are in good shape and you are willing to disassemble your old strut assemblies to get the mounts. Because also you need the bumper, strut boot, and any rubber parts that are in there. Similar little extras are needed on the front (which need to be ordered new or disassemble the old units to get those parts, including the spacers for the front).

Another possible option for springs if your existing springs are in ok shape to reuse them (afiak the Legacy springs can still be reused; you will still get about a 1.5" lift from the Outback struts). Or possibly those rubber spring spacers.

I'm going to look more into the spring spacers because I have a new set of genuine springs front and rear for a '96 Legacy that I'd like to use.

And I should disclaim I'm just describing how I would go about this project; I'm not recommending doing this mod or giving any advice.

hi baltimore!

I had to convert my Legacy LS wagon to coilovers too, due to blown air struts - it isnt hard at all. I went with stock style struts, so I cant really help you with what will work for added lift...

1. disconnect the air controller - it is under the driver's seat (make sure you get the right one - the TCU is under there, too, if I recall correctly)

(1a. cant remember exactly, but you may need to disconnect the electric for the air compressor - it lives behind the drivers side fender between the lights and wheel well.)

2. disconnect the air & electric lines at each strut

3. remove the air struts and replace with the coilovers.

You will need to get the appropriate tophats - the ones from the airstruts wont work

I just left the compressor inside the fender - it was gonna be a pain to get to it to remove it...it doesnt hurt anything to leave it.

good luck.

Ok so it looks like you can't reuse your existing strut top mounts b/c of the air (I forgot about that part). If you download the KYB catalog I know it has some notes in it about what KYB parts can be used in replacing the air susp. Hm ok forget the KYB catalog, it now just says "LINCOLN CONTINENTAL, MITSUBISHI GALANT,SUBARU Air suspension struts; i.e., These systems canot be substituted for without extensive vehicle modification. KYB does not recommend removal." so that is no help. I know some years back, maybe in '07 it had some tips about it but maybe they removed it because of liability concerns in making 'modifications'.

Edited by porcupine73

The strut mounts for the rear need to match the year of the car. I believe that era has a two stud mount, whereas the later years (95+) use a different three stud mount that is different for left and right. You don't necessarily have to buy new mounts if your existing mounts are in good shape and you are willing to disassemble your old strut assemblies to get the mounts. Because also you need the bumper, strut boot, and any rubber parts that are in there. Similar little extras are needed on the front (which need to be ordered new or disassemble the old units to get those parts, including the spacers for the front).

Another possible option for springs if your existing springs are in ok shape to reuse them (afiak the Legacy springs can still be reused; you will still get about a 1.5" lift from the Outback struts). Or possibly those rubber spring spacers.

I'm going to look more into the spring spacers because I have a new set of genuine springs front and rear for a '96 Legacy that I'd like to use.

And I should disclaim I'm just describing how I would go about this project; I'm not recommending doing this mod or giving any advice.

I understand the disclaimer it dosen't have springs its strut like thing with a air bag at the top i did unplug the ride height fuse so the compressor dosent come on but the dash light still flashes {You will need to get the appropriate tophats - the ones from the airstruts wont work} do you mean the top strut mount and do I need them for the year of the car or the year of the new struts thanks all

do you mean the top strut mount and do I need them for the year of the car or the year of the new struts thanks

For the year of the car. The mount has some studs on the top that need to fit through the holes in the body (or I've seen where some people just drill new holes to match whatever mount they happen to be using but that is probably not optimal).

Here's some struts assemblies I've built in the past. In the pic on the right that is build with a KYB GR-2 and all new genuine Subaru components (except the spring is a King Spring lift spring). Kind of pricey to build that way but everything is nice and new and tight that way.

struttop2.jpgstrutcomparison1.jpg

In that pic on the right (that is a front strut), the strut on to the left in the pic on the right is a stocker from a '96 Legacy; the strut on the right is built with a '96 Outback strut, just to show the nice difference in height :)

Edited by porcupine73

That's what I would be looking for, at least for the rears. The fronts Subaru used the same mount for many different years so those might be the same.

One other possible difference maybe would be the upper spring diameter; i.e. Impreza and some other market (non-USDM) Legacies and Outbacks have/had a smaller diameter at the top of the springs; not sure if it's possible a 90 Legacy would have had that, but in that case you might need the upper spring seats too.

For mine I'm planning to get the components I know I need such as struts and mounts and then anything I encounter while building the new assemblies I will address at that time by getting the required parts.

yes, you will need the tophats (top mount) for the 90-91 legacy (makes no difference between sedan & wagon, they are the same), non-air suspension.

oh yeah - the rear mounts are kind of a pain to get to - under the rear speakers...pop the speaker cover off, remove speaker, then you can get to the strut mounts...

I ended up getting complete used strut assemblies that inluded the springs - forget who we got them from, but was about $80 shipped to me (no jy's around here keep anything older than 10 yrs) from there you can get whichever strut/spring combo you like/will work.

to get rid of the ride height button flashing at you - you need to unplug the box under the drivers seat - small one - easiest to get to if you pull the seat out, only 4 bolts...i seem to recall it was a royal pain to get to with the seat still in.