Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Typical Turn Signals

Ive always known Subies to have the rear turn signals flash faster if the front ones are out...

But its illegal to not have front ones (obviously)

Can I change the timing of them to blink faster on the front and back without taking my bulbs out and being a target for cops?

I did this in my Loyale thinking I wouldnt get caught... WRONG!

Now in the 84 GL I just want faster lights, Ive seen Hondas (god forbid I have to get one of these to do it ) with them blinking faster on the front and back.

If you use an insturment/marker bulb instead of the turn signal bulb it will flash fast because the resistance in the circuit is lower.

You could probably replace the flasher module with something that has a faster delay or is adjustable. I'm sure they must make them for the Honda guys :rolleyes:

Seems lame though. Why not just leave it be and worry about stuff that's actually important and affects driveability. Sounds like what you really want is a Honda :Flame:Subaru's are all about functionality and reliability. Not so much about flashyness and accesorizing. Frankly hand signals are pretty cool :lol:

GD

Well, the front signals are out, and I have some wiring issues in the car, so I figured if it was a different bulb or a rewire, I should address them at the same time.

Honda... No. Eww.

I wouldnt drive a honda if it was handed to me, id trade it in for a different subie, or sell it cheap to buy mods for mine haha

Yeah just replace the flasher unit with a different (Wrong unit) ever seen these poor rump roast ghetto folks whos blinkers are flashing like mad? Thats cause they didn't put the correct unit in when the old one burned out and I guess the resistance on these change for different systems. Ever seen the ones that blink really slow? (Stays on for like 2sec) Same reason. wrong flasher unit.

Personally, I think having your lights to fast or to slow makes it look as if a dope worked on the car and didn't know what they were doing.

But it is your car, do what you like and think is cool :)

Seems lame though. Why not just leave it be and worry about stuff that's actually important and affects driveability. Sounds like what you really want is a Honda :Flame:Subaru's are all about functionality and reliability. Not so much about flashyness and accesorizing. Frankly hand signals are pretty cool :lol:

GD

Some people want their cars to have character and set them apart from others.

Why be like all the other cookie cutter cars out there?

My lifted Hatch has fast blinkers because the bulbs are a different wattage.

My lifted Hatch has fast blinkers because the bulbs are a different wattage.

So does my lifted wagon - because I'm using the corner markers as the front blinkers. But it's only because I'm lazy - I don't prefer it that way it just happened. A bit annoying though and I keep thinking I'll get pulled over because there's got to be some cops that would think I have a bulb out because of the fast blink (that's the usual indication).

:rolleyes:

GD

you could change out the flasher relay with a eletronic one. i did this when i used custome led lights on my homade front bumper

I thought about doing a sheet metal covering (after removing the signals) on the 1984 GL Wagon and mounting cool LED strips as my turn signals on my bumper (steel front bumper)

But I dont want to steal someones idea either.:banana:

I thought about doing a sheet metal covering (after removing the signals) on the 1984 GL Wagon and mounting cool LED strips as my turn signals on my bumper (steel front bumper)

But I dont want to steal someones idea either.:banana:

I like that idea! LED strips are pretty cool - along with being brighter then stock.

Can you post a picture of your rig?

I have no clue how to do that :(

Tutorial somewhere?

You can open a free account on a photo hosting site like "Photobucket.com" upload your pictures to a folder you can make then just copy the IMG code and paste it during your message and it'll show up as a picture in your finished post :) Really easy!

-Tom

Ive always known Subies to have the rear turn signals flash faster if the front ones are out...

But its illegal to not have front ones (obviously)

Can I change the timing of them to blink faster on the front and back without taking my bulbs out and being a target for cops?

I did this in my Loyale thinking I wouldnt get caught... WRONG!

Now in the 84 GL I just want faster lights, Ive seen Hondas (god forbid I have to get one of these to do it ) with them blinking faster on the front and back.

If they blink too fast they can not be seen from a distance by some drivers and may be confusing in some weather conditions.

Beleive it or not there is standard for the number of flashes per minute of the signals, there is a range but if you notice cars are pretty close to each to eachother in flashes.

Generally, if you see a car with faster than normal blinkers it is because they have after-market lights, ie, Altezza or other brand. They do not have the correct load on the circuits for the flasher. They blink fast because they are not right, not because they are cool... :rolleyes:

Looks good! I'll take that FF wagon in back off your hands!

:slobber:

I have no clue bout that one, these were taken at the PO's house, I believe thats his 1981 Hatch..

When I see him again (monday) Ill ask him if he has any interest in getting rid of it, but I think its his toy

No - that red hatch is either early 80's or it's a STD model hatch with the double-round headlights. Not a 70's (or 60's which would be the 360's) roo. Very likely it is the '81 hatch that he thinks it is.

I'm in West Linn - bring it by when you get it and I'll tell you what to do to fix it, etc.

GD

You know what, the closer I look at it - I think he and you are right. At a glance I though it was a 70s Star or 1000 or something. But yeah I see it now.

Rick, Can you PM me a picture of one of these hatches? I keep finding photos of the newer style ('84 and up)

Bumper.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello There, Newbie Here.

I have a "Strange" one for ya. At least I've never seen it before.

My left signals flash at different rates, dependant on whether the Headlights, or running lights are on, or the Engine Revs. Front, Rear and instrument lights all work. The rights are OK, this anololy ONLY effects the left side.

Pete in CDA

Check your alternator/battery?

Just a guess, but couldnt it be going slower when your headlights and stuff are on because of the drag on the battery? and then when you rev the engine, it blinks faster?

I suppose could even be faulty switch somewhere as well.

Thats just my guess, Im sure a Subie master will reply soon :banana: