Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 Impreza hesitates after fueling

Each time I re-fuel my 03 Impreza, within a couple of minutes after putting gas in, it skips, and hesitates.

It doesn't matter how much, or how little gas I add.....it always does it.

After a few minutes, it goes away and it runs fine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with pressure loss in the fuel system but I really don't know.

Any ideas ?

It's got 185K kms on it.

It seems I saw something about this sort of thing on Endwrench.com but I am forgetting the details now. I think it had to do with filling past where the nozzle clicks off and ending up getting liquid gasoline into the charcoal canister (which is only intended to take vapor). I am guessing Canada spec soobs have similar emissions equipment to the U.s. Or not inserting the nozzle all the way while filling so that the tip of the nozzle is down past where the hose takeoff to the canister is - then it could get liquid down into the canister that way too.

I remember last time and from my previous subie when opening the filler cap it was sucking in air thus the tank was under vacuum. (currently i only get gasoline every 12000 km cause of propane).

So maybe it is leaking some vacuum somewhere. As previously stated what happens when you just remove the cap and place it back. or indeed even drive without the cap. Fuel will not be running out i think.