Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 88 DL - help needed!

I'm stoked - got my second Soobie wagon. First was a 91 w/ about 200k on it - ran GREAT until i sold it to my brother (he divorced and needed cheap/reliable). Been commuting in my FJ60 which is not ideal, or riding my Buell. :)

So my buddy found an AMAZING 88 and ear marked it for me.

Pristine 88 DL w/ just shy of 11,000 miles (10,88x). I'm getting it from him this weekend.

He's a Toyota mechanic, former soobie mechanic and has totally gone through it - all new fluids, new muffler (must've rusted?), filter, tires (khumos), etc.

The bits i know i want/need:

1 - A passenger side mirror! Any GL mirror will work right? does it matter if i get one w/ power or not?

2 - Front passenger interior door panel (top is cracked from sun) Grey.

3 - Rear storage compartment privacy roll thingamajiggy (tech term...) - will it bolt up or need to get creative? had one on my 91 and like the security for gear in the back.

4 - wish list item - split rear seat? Just the back and easy swap in?

5 - A REAL stereo? has original am/fm - works fine, but want CD player w/ bluetooth and maybe new door speakers. Need to replace speaker wire because common ground (i have no idea what that is).

And this is my FIRST post! :banana:woohoo!:banana: you gotta love the internet. glad to find such a cool site. Been on ih8mud for years and see this as being another cool community site for what i expect to be an addiction.

Thanks!

rob

Edited by sl33py

forgot a couple things.

a - This is going to be my CAV (commuter assault vehicle)

b - NOT lifting it. Great in the snow and i'm sure it's 4x4'able, but have FJ60 for offroading.

Foglights? saw someone w/ them through the front grill? or maybe small lightbar in low center of stock bumper? If you ever find my monster bumper build on my FJ on mud you'll understand i have some sort of "thing" for fogs and bumpers...

Lastly - i know nadda besides driving the old 91 around for 6'ish months. great dog car and AWESOME in the snow. loved it but had to let it go.

So i appreciate the info, and suggestions on all the above - any anything glaring i'm missing.

thanks!!

rob

Maybe I missed it in your original post's,but you need to let it be known where you are located. It Really helps. The best way is to go to your "user cp" and ad it to your stat's.

Also,request's for parts work best in the classified forum.

Maybe I missed it in your original post's,but you need to let it be known where you are located. It Really helps. The best way is to go to your "user cp" and ad it to your stat's.

Also,request's for parts work best in the classified forum.

Thanks Mark i'll update my CP info. I thought i put that in there already...

anyway I was going to look in the classified, but was really trying to figure out what i need. Years compatible (DL only or GL ok too?), and if power window will work OK on my DL?

Then just general feedback from the group on the other misc. And of course a "hello" from a new soobie owner to the group!

If i can clarify that then i know what to look for in the parts section here.

appreciate the help!

rob

sl33py i am your man.

My 1st suby that i still have is a dl and i can help you out with all of your questions.

1. Yes any gl mirror will bolt up. When you get one from a junkyard electric or not make sure you get the screws and the gray plastic cover. Be careful because the triangle trim piece can be brittle. If its power then just rip out the electrics like i did and mount it up anyways. Position the mirror buy hand and your good to go.

2. See Above Post

3. You need different rear package trim in order to have the privacy roller shade. You can transfer the GL trim into your DL if you wanted to badly enough.

4. All GL seats should bolt right up. Infact if you replace the rear seat you might as well replace the front 2 as well. GLs had better plush interiors as well so the seats are comfier. On a side note, if the tops of your DL door panels are shot you can use GL ones as well and swap the middle section out for the manual window setup. You could rewire for power windows but its a royal pain to do stuff like that.

5. Stereo is anything you want and i have fit 6 1/2 speakers in the front doors useing the factory mounting area. But you will need to run new speaker wire and drill out the holes in the back doors to mount speakers there. There shoudl be space in the door frame but not on the door panl. Alittle tip. I got 6 1/2 factory speakers from a subaru impreza wrx and they bolted right up to the factory wireing. They were nice panasonic or pioneer speakers, but to each there own.

Couple of side notes.

If you want bigger rims other then 13 inch you will need to find some peugeot wheels or redrill 6 lug toyota wheels.

Is yours a 5 speed or a auto

Look up a rear disc brake swap. They are way better then the drums.

Be prepaired to make others jelaous of the 4 headlight system. They are far superior to the GLs Big Headlight setup.

Yours is Fuel Injected, not carbed.

You cannot swap in the tach dash.

Theres someone on here called mcbrat. He likes makeing fun of dls. But then you can say atleast you bring subarus to subaru shows.

Theres lots of other things but im needing to go to work.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1649

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2317

Rockin the DL since 05.

Ben

I have an '85 wagon here at my place that I'm probably going to part out. It has a good pass. side view mirror on it. It's power,thou.

Since you live in the Seattle area,you really should go to one of the Pull a Parts. They always have Subi'e and the prices are reasonable.

http://pullapartwa.com/

Thanks Mark! If i can't find anything closer I'd love to chat and see what you want for the pass mirror. I get down to Olympia/Tumwater occasionally, but not typically to Yelm.

Maybe PM me some contact info and what you want for it?

sl33py i am your man.

My 1st suby that i still have is a dl and i can help you out with all of your questions.

1. Yes any gl mirror will bolt up. When you get one from a junkyard electric or not make sure you get the screws and the gray plastic cover. Be careful because the triangle trim piece can be brittle. If its power then just rip out the electrics like i did and mount it up anyways. Position the mirror buy hand and your good to go.

2. See Above Post

3. You need different rear package trim in order to have the privacy roller shade. You can transfer the GL trim into your DL if you wanted to badly enough.

COOL - thanks for the heads up on the brittle plastic

4. All GL seats should bolt right up. Infact if you replace the rear seat you might as well replace the front 2 as well. GLs had better plush interiors as well so the seats are comfier. On a side note, if the tops of your DL door panels are shot you can use GL ones as well and swap the middle section out for the manual window setup. You could rewire for power windows but its a royal pain to do stuff like that.

5. Stereo is anything you want and i have fit 6 1/2 speakers in the front doors useing the factory mounting area. But you will need to run new speaker wire and drill out the holes in the back doors to mount speakers there. There shoudl be space in the door frame but not on the door panl. Alittle tip. I got 6 1/2 factory speakers from a subaru impreza wrx and they bolted right up to the factory wireing. They were nice panasonic or pioneer speakers, but to each there own.

AGAIN - wow - just what i was wondering. I have some nice 6 3/4" Pioneer components i may re-purpose. I'm not afraid to cut a bit if they fit depth wise w/o major mods. I plan on getting a nice BT deck, but wasn't positive on speaker size. WRX may be an easier drop in swap. Thanks man!

Couple of side notes.

If you want bigger rims other then 13 inch you will need to find some peugeot wheels or redrill 6 lug toyota wheels.

Is yours a 5 speed or a auto

5sp with the push button 4wd - is this the 5sp Dual Range I read about all the time or something else?

Look up a rear disc brake swap. They are way better then the drums.

Be prepaired to make others jelaous of the 4 headlight system. They are far superior to the GLs Big Headlight setup.

Cool - the brakes (pads, drums, everything... is original from factory floor) felt a bit soft and was thinking of putting in some better/new tech pads. Makes a world of dif on my bike - hopefully same on soob?

I like the 4 Headlights as well - thinking of non-sealed h4 or h1 swap? would love to put in some HID's (have on bike and LOVE THEM!). Less draw more light etc.

Anyone done HID's on DL?

Yours is Fuel Injected, not carbed.

You cannot swap in the tach dash.

Theres someone on here called mcbrat. He likes makeing fun of dls. But then you can say atleast you bring subarus to subaru shows.

Theres lots of other things but im needing to go to work.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1649

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2317

Rockin the DL since 05.

Ben

Ben - you are THE MAN! You even answered some questions I forgot to ask (like the tach swap - bummer).

I knew this was the first year of FI - i've driven carb'd ones and not knocking, but don't want one.

Is it EA81 or EA82 (just curious) - i can look on Sunday when i pick it up.

I put some responses above to be clearer. And the pic he sent to my phone should be attached...

0803101617.jpeg

Not too bad for a cell phone pic. Just got it detailed for me. Getting tint on the windows Thursday!

Again - thanks!!!

rob

Thats a great looking wagon. It's a ea82 for sure. I'm gonna try and get rid of this parts wagon I have all in one shot. If that doesn't work,you can take what ever you might need off of it for little or nothing.

Really,thou.Everything thing you will need will be at PAP. And for cheap,too. Except for the cargo cover,probably. Those are harder to find. If you really wanna go thru all that work that Ben was talking about in order to install a cargo cover,I have a really nice grey one you can have for $40.

Thats a great looking wagon. It's a ea82 for sure. I'm gonna try and get rid of this parts wagon I have all in one shot. If that doesn't work,you can take what ever you might need off of it for little or nothing.

Really,thou.Everything thing you will need will be at PAP. And for cheap,too. Except for the cargo cover,probably. Those are harder to find. If you really wanna go thru all that work that Ben was talking about in order to install a cargo cover,I have a really nice grey one you can have for $40.

Thanks Mark! let me ask this for the millionth time... is there a PM feature on this site? Thanks for the suggestion on PAP. See a side mirror goes for a whopping $6.50! nice.

I'd rather hook a brotha up than give $ to a yard, if you have the interior rear panels to go with that maybe we can work something out? Split rear Seat? ;)

thx guys for the info. i'm starting to get up to speed on this again. I missed my 91... glad to be back in one (soon - sunday!).

rob

You have the push button 4wd which is only 4 high. It still gets around great in the winter but if you were wanting to wheel you would benefit from the 4 low. Though that hasn't stopped me.:grin:

Your car is awsome. You need to get some pugs on that quick. The larger wheel with wider tire will make them handle really well.

You will be disapointed when you see how many parts dont really cross over into these cars. Not alot of aftermarket following and even certain parts like better brakes arent available with stock equipment. Things like great brakes

There are some pretty impressive sealed beam units out there that you can still use the factory wiring.

If you wanted to get things interesting you can swap a legacy 2.2 motor into that thing. Gives you about 50more hp and torque. Much better motor that propells the car further. But with hardly any miles on the car its barely broken in.

You have the push button 4wd which is only 4 high. It still gets around great in the winter but if you were wanting to wheel you would benefit from the 4 low. Though that hasn't stopped me.:grin:

Your car is awsome. You need to get some pugs on that quick. The larger wheel with wider tire will make them handle really well.

You will be disapointed when you see how many parts dont really cross over into these cars. Not alot of aftermarket following and even certain parts like better brakes arent available with stock equipment. Things like great brakes

There are some pretty impressive sealed beam units out there that you can still use the factory wiring.

If you wanted to get things interesting you can swap a legacy 2.2 motor into that thing. Gives you about 50more hp and torque. Much better motor that propells the car further. But with hardly any miles on the car its barely broken in.

Thanks Ben! Definitely no engine swap planned. Not with so few miles on it so far. if i need one later due to high miles... then maybe more bigger better...

I'll try bleeding the brakes adjusting and finally new pads before i do a disc swap. not running bigger tires, so hopefully won't need disc anyway.

are pugs typically 14" vs 13"? width of rim diff? I kinda like the simple steel ones... I'd worry new wider tires would give more rolling resistance and impact mpg. This is intended as commuter/snow/surf rig - saving the FJ for the tougher stuff where mpg doesn't matter.

already spotting some sweet deals on here in parts section. just a matter of finding the right stuff and making it mine.

thanks again - great to get a schoolin' from someone who has been through it already.

rob

Upgradeing the wheels are what most people do when they lift. It just gives you a better selection of tires since there is hardly anything in 13' tires anymore. You would find it wont effect gas mpg to much and would look sharper.

These are what im talking about.

IMG_3340.jpg Sorry oneeye to hyjack a pic to prove a point.

3 - Rear storage compartment privacy roll thingamajiggy (tech term...) - will it bolt up or need to get creative? had one on my 91 and like the security for gear in the back.

If you can find a cover, you don't need to replace anything. The holes are in the car for all the pieces you need, they are just not cut into the interior pieces. My 1990 turbo didn't have a cover, so I went to my local PAP, got the mounting hardware (pocket pieces :)), cut the holes in the interior panels, installed the mounting hardware, found a cargo cover and installed it! Works great! Took me about 30min to install it. No swapping required :)

5 - A REAL stereo? has original am/fm - works fine, but want CD player w/ bluetooth and maybe new door speakers. Need to replace speaker wire because common ground (i have no idea what that is).

You want a real stereo? Checkout what I have done :)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111650

This older subes are super easy to install anything you need to into it.

Here's a list of what I have installed into my car that I didn't have when I first got it:

1. Intermittent Windows Wiper

2. Cruise Control Steering Wheel Controls and Fixed Cruise Control

3. Paddle Shifters

4. Custom Stereo

5. Map Lights (Custom LED job, but stock ones wire right up)

6. Rear Cargo Cover

7. Rear Cargo Light (I have it, need to install it. Wiring already there...)

8. Remote Start

9. Keyless Entry (Added a door lock switch on the doors as well, hated not having one)

10. Hella 500FF On Front Bumper (turn on with my lights to improve my headlights)

11. Upgraded Alt to a 90amp Maxima Alt (in process of doing this)

Some things I still plan on adding:

1. Leather, Heated Outback Seats

2. Roof Rack

3. 4" Lift w/27's

4. More Offroad Lights

5. Carputer (Just need the touch screen)

6. More stuff I am sure I forgot :)

Subaru = Lego's man! If you find it in a similar car, then you can have it too!

I have had my Subie for about a year now, and it's still a project for me :) I have added a bunch of options that it didn't have when I got it. Basically, if you think you need it, you can probably make it work :) Good luck man, and let me know if I can help you out!

PS You should check out Aarons Auto Wrecking in Seattle. They are going out of business and have lots of stuff to get rid of, just an FYI :)

Upgradeing the wheels are what most people do when they lift. It just gives you a better selection of tires since there is hardly anything in 13' tires anymore. You would find it wont effect gas mpg to much and would look sharper.

These are what im talking about.

IMG_3340.jpg Sorry oneeye to hyjack a pic to prove a point.

Ben - that does look nice. BUT I have brand new tires on it now... I'll def keep an eye out for a set for the future, but to start I think i'll save the $ for stereo and gas.

thanks for finding a pic - i've seen a bunch of different pugs. I'll need to research the different types. I've seen 13 and 14's. Any 15's and would they fit? That would help with finding current tire sizes.

If you can find a cover, you don't need to replace anything. The holes are in the car for all the pieces you need, they are just not cut into the interior pieces. My 1990 turbo didn't have a cover, so I went to my local PAP, got the mounting hardware (pocket pieces :)), cut the holes in the interior panels, installed the mounting hardware, found a cargo cover and installed it! Works great! Took me about 30min to install it. No swapping required :)

You want a real stereo? Checkout what I have done :)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111650

This older subes are super easy to install anything you need to into it.

Here's a list of what I have installed into my car that I didn't have when I first got it:

1. Intermittent Windows Wiper

2. Cruise Control Steering Wheel Controls and Fixed Cruise Control

3. Paddle Shifters

4. Custom Stereo

5. Map Lights (Custom LED job, but stock ones wire right up)

6. Rear Cargo Cover

7. Rear Cargo Light (I have it, need to install it. Wiring already there...)

8. Remote Start

9. Keyless Entry (Added a door lock switch on the doors as well, hated not having one)

10. Hella 500FF On Front Bumper (turn on with my lights to improve my headlights)

11. Upgraded Alt to a 90amp Maxima Alt (in process of doing this)

Some things I still plan on adding:

1. Leather, Heated Outback Seats

2. Roof Rack

3. 4" Lift w/27's

4. More Offroad Lights

5. Carputer (Just need the touch screen)

6. More stuff I am sure I forgot :)

Subaru = Lego's man! If you find it in a similar car, then you can have it too!

I have had my Subie for about a year now, and it's still a project for me :) I have added a bunch of options that it didn't have when I got it. Basically, if you think you need it, you can probably make it work :) Good luck man, and let me know if I can help you out!

PS You should check out Aarons Auto Wrecking in Seattle. They are going out of business and have lots of stuff to get rid of, just an FYI :)

Wow - thanks eulogious! Great info on the privacy screen and not needing interior panels (mine are beyond pristine).

I'm on the hunt for pass mirror first and foremost. I'll check out Aarons and PAP per your guys suggestions. I just need to be able to check my blind spots (i ride motorcycles...), especially after tinting windows.

I'd love more info on a BUNCH of your mods:

1. Intermittent Windows Wiper (i don't have that already?!)

2. Cruise Control (i thought i might be missing that - nice to have but not critical - saw a recent post on an aftermarket universal)

4. Custom Stereo (going to read your build now)

5. Map Lights (Custom LED job, but stock ones wire right up) - ooh... LEDs - pics?

6. Rear Cargo Cover - any detail pics on how you fit yours?

7. Rear Cargo Light (I have it, need to install it. Wiring already there...) hmm - good to have - is it switched when hatch opens or you have to flip it on?

8. Remote Start - with 5sp? I know you technically "can" but most won't install in manual. I'd be worried about leaving it in gear (which i almost always do)

9. Keyless Entry - i like the idea of at least the driver door. I'm all manual doors and windows on the DL. I've seen the actuators for car alarms w/ keyless.

Thanks everyone - this has been REALLY helpful. I'm all over the map obviously, but learning a ton quickly!

rob

Edited by sl33py

Got new Tint today!:banana::banana::banana:

Coming together nicely!!

0805101542.jpeg

Nice man! That's a really clean subie!

can't wait to pick it up Sunday!

Ahh, you don't have it yet, I think I missed that part in your posts. I was wondering why you were curious about some stuff, like intermittent wipers. I was thinking, why don't you just go look to see if you have them, but you really can't ;) Make sense now :D

Wow - thanks eulogious! Great info on the privacy screen and not needing interior panels (mine are beyond pristine).

I'm on the hunt for pass mirror first and foremost. I'll check out Aarons and PAP per your guys suggestions. I just need to be able to check my blind spots (i ride motorcycles...), especially after tinting windows.

I'd love more info on a BUNCH of your mods:

1. Intermittent Windows Wiper (i don't have that already?!)

Nope :( the DL's didn't get that, same with the Loyales. The Loyale is basically an "updated" GL. They just changed the name. I did get power windows and power locks standard, but that's about it...

It's a super easy upgrade. All you need is 2 parts. You need the turn signal/head light switch assembly that was the intermittent wipers (from a gl-10), and then you need the wiper relay. Then all you have to do is remove the steering wheel and swap the signal/headlight assembly, and then plug in the wiper relay. Done. The hardest part was removing the steering wheel because I didn't have a puller. $15 later at Harbor Freight and I was good to go :D

Search for it on here and there are some good post about it. That's all I did :D

2. Cruise Control (i thought i might be missing that - nice to have but not critical - saw a recent post on an aftermarket universal)

If you can find the dealer installed version of the cruise control, it's easy to install. It's what mine came with. The dealer installed version usually doesn't have the steering wheel controls, so I added those in. I also made the system independent of engine vacuum by installing a vacuum pump off of a gl-10 turbo. Works great! I picked up an entire cruise system off of here a little bit ago, so just keep an eye out, you will probably find one :)

Link to my post:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105299

I should finish that up...

4. Custom Stereo (going to read your build now)

I went all out (I have updates as well I will be posting later today...) and I am still going all out with the stereo stuff :D I love getting sweet deals :) Since I don't really plan on offroading my subie that much, I am not worried about the stereo gear. It's my DD, and I need to have music in my DD. I drive up to Seattle every weekend, so that 3 hours of driving a weekend, so I need good music to keep my sanity :lol: But if you got any questions, feel free to ask.

5. Map Lights (Custom LED job, but stock ones wire right up) - ooh... LEDs - pics?

Here's a link to the one's that I bought. They work great! I actually stole it out of my MR2, so I need to order another one for him...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Falm-x3.htm#photos

Since 2 of the LED's are angled, it works perfectly for lighting up your lap, the passengers lap, and also the center console. I added a 3 way switch in so that I can turn on the map lights by pressing the switch up, and then turn on all the lights (dome light, rear light, and map light) by pressing the switch down. It's off when it's in the middle. It's really nice to just flick a switch on your dash to control the lights. I also hooked them up to my keyless entry so when I unlock my car it turns on all the lights in my car. Very nice considering I work graveyards :rolleyes:

6. Rear Cargo Cover - any detail pics on how you fit yours?

I will go snap some pics here in a min for you. The easiest thing I did was just make note of where the mounting locations are when you remove the mounting hardware from the donor car, and then take off your panels and find those locations. Then start cutting zzz

7. Rear Cargo Light (I have it, need to install it. Wiring already there...) hmm - good to have - is it switched when hatch opens or you have to flip it on?

It just comes on with the dome light...

8. Remote Start - with 5sp? I know you technically "can" but most won't install in manual. I'd be worried about leaving it in gear (which i almost always do)

I's gots an auto, hence the paddle shifters :D Now with that said, I am going to add remote start to my MR2 with a 5spd, but not for the remote start feature (I am going to disable that), but for ablity to leave my car running after it's started without the keys in the ignition. I LOVE that about my remote start. I can run back into my house and unlock the door to my house without having to turn off my car if I forgot something. It's nice. That and the remote start is also keyless entry...

But I don't recommend the remote start on a 5spd for sure!

9. Keyless Entry - i like the idea of at least the driver door. I'm all manual doors and windows on the DL. I've seen the actuators for car alarms w/ keyless.

This is also an easy swap in thing. Since almost all loyales have power door locks, if you find one, just remove all the actuators and rods, and then just install them in your car. The wiring is already there, you just need to plug in the gear. So that will get you 4 out of the 5 doors. The driver door doesn't have a motor by default. So I installed one from another subie. I had to make it work, but it's great. Each actuator cost like $3-5, so it's an easy, cheap upgrade. Here's a link to what I did...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105193

I need to finish that up, :confused:

Thanks everyone - this has been REALLY helpful. I'm all over the map obviously, but learning a ton quickly!

rob

These cars are fun to customize in my opinion. If you want something installed into it, it's really easy to do. The dash comes apart easy, it's a simply wired car so it's easy to add your own stuff to it, and subaru doesn't remove any of the wiring for any of the accessories, so if your car doesn't have a certain option that you want, just find it in a donor car and install it! I really like that about these cars, they are just legos! Have fun man, and let me know if I can help out some more!

I didnt know about the wipers. I will look into that the next time im at the yard.

What do you mean? I did the swap myself, so I know this is the procedure, if that is what you mean? I didn't get super detailed, but that is what I did to get it to work for me...

Edit: I can't read, I am an idiot! I read "dont" not "didn't" :o

Edited by eulogious
I am an idiot...

What do you mean? I did the swap myself, so I know this is the procedure, if that is what you mean? I didn't get super detailed, but that is what I did to get it to work for me...

great info guys!

I think he means "wow - didn't know that was possible... I'll look for it next time i go to the yard" :lol: Just my interp of it.

Great info guys - i'm actually heading up after work today to go get it licensed.

Stereo q - how does the Head Unit fit in your dash? It sticks out a bit right? I'm looking at a new Pioneer HU w/ bluetooth (for handsfree calls). Can anyone post a pic of it installed? how much does it stick out? I'm digging through some stereo threads and looking for more info. Found the adapter kit and wire harness kit from Metra, but not much for DL/GL to compare.

Thx!!

rob

To answer my own stereo question (for anyone else looking later):

Found this link from Scoobie17 to 17mia's picasa photo:

DSC00052.JPG

So there you have it... Doesn't look too bad, fits w/o getting in the way of the shifter. I'm still kicking around the idea of installing into the glovebox or somewhere else out of sight. I like the AM/FM stereo as a theft deterrent - (nothing to steal here folks!).

Now looking at speakers. Have a "spare" set of Pioneer 720PRS kickin' around.

6 3/4" w/ 2 5/8" mounting depth - think they'll fit?!

If I get a PDX5 i'd even be able to go active... maybe overkill... Wonder what kind of sub i could fit in a rear quarter panel? shallow 10 or 12? Hmm... we'll have to take a look this weekend.

I appreciate any info or suggestions as always. What am i missing?

Thanks guys!

rob