Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Give me some Ideas. 83 brat

I have not been posting much lately. Mainly because I Have been rolling in my Mercedes, And I sold my XT6's and my Legacy this year. I have my Brat still and I have a XT turbo..

I spent a bunch of money on my brat to restore her. new JDM engine, weber Carb, Lots of time. spare parts. new body panels. then I rear ended someone. and pretty much took her out in the front end. the body panels have been replaced but things just don't seem right... so I'm debating if I should sell her or put a lift on her and run her.. she seems to have a bit of a cancer problem.. Had I realized it, I probably wouldn't have spent as much as I did on her.

any how What should I do??

I have not been posting much lately. Mainly because I Have been rolling in my Mercedes, And I sold my XT6's and my Legacy this year. I have my Brat still and I have a XT turbo..

I spent a bunch of money on my brat to restore her. new JDM engine, weber Carb, Lots of time. spare parts. new body panels. then I rear ended someone. and pretty much took her out in the front end. the body panels have been replaced but things just don't seem right... so I'm debating if I should sell her or put a lift on her and run her.. she seems to have a bit of a cancer problem.. Had I realized it, I probably wouldn't have spent as much as I did on her.

any how What should I do??

I know that my 85 Brat has a bit of Cancaer that I will need to have cured. will probably cost me more than what it's worth to someone else, but I don't care. I've wanted one for the longest time and now I've got it and I plan on keeping it.

Either way good luck.

I know that my 85 Brat has a bit of Cancaer that I will need to have cured. will probably cost me more than what it's worth to someone else, but I don't care. I've wanted one for the longest time and now I've got it and I plan on keeping it.

Either way good luck.

I agree... I have a lot of surface but there are a few spots where it has gone all the way. the roof is one spot between the t's. and the door jam. its just been a matter of time.

I know that I will have to replace the rocker panels and I have a spot under the bed that is serious. And since I'm doing a mild custom / restoration on it, I want ti do it right and I know that it will take some time & money. so I bought a cheap little EA82 4wd wagon to beat around in until I have the brat done. It's ugly as homemade sin due to the rust, but I didn't buy it for looks and I'll use what i can when the rust has devoured it beyond serviceability.

Do you know how to weld and/or have a welder? If so you might want to start. Its not that hard and once you get good at it you will have no problems keeping the rust at bay. I had some minor rot starting on my coupe and i attacked it before it got worse. The worst thing you can do is let it keep going. The quicker you fix it the easier it will be.

Howdy,

I got another 82BRAT, and was just getting it for the parts, except it's a T-top,fun/sun roof model(GL). The engine was siezed,radiator totally clogged, and there was so much mud and crud underneath,above the axles etc, that I got the funny feeling that they(high school kids) 4wheeled the s**t outta it,burned up the motor. The sway bar bushings gone and bushing holder smashed FLAT. The rear moustach bar is BENT, and those rubber bushing are ripped. But hey, I rebuilt an engine, and straightened a bunch a stuff out, and am almost ready to put on the road. I also have a 85 gl wagon that I've been getting some still useable good parts off and putting on this brat, front fenders and hood different color. I really like these cars, will carry all my rafting gear and I still get 30-34 mpg, and they handle well. The ones I have will never be "restored", but will be drivable.

I also took a welding course offered by the local comm. college. Then I got a gas weld outfit and a small arc setup, but I also got a lot of junk to mess around with as in old iron. later,rc

xoomer.......nothing is impossible. See for yourself. Twelve pages of photo evidence. Enjoy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26905545@N07/sets/72157605926523746/detail/

DAMN! Makes me feel better. Soon as I get back from France and before the rainy season I've got to get on this. Don't know how to weld though...

I'm just sand down what I can. Use some rust remover, and patch it up. I don't have any major rust like that. (at least that I can see)