Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey All,

My '93 Legacy wagon has developed a bit of a front-wheel shimmy while driving. It's doesn't always do it, and it doesn't shake the car violently (yet). I'm assuming it's bad tie rods. But, I wanted to check with you folks first to see if it might be something else or if there's anything else that should be replaced along with the tie rods. Also, any good tests to narrow down the offending parts? (I tried doing a search for "tie rod" but couldn't because both words are too short/common!)

Thanks!

It could be a bad tire.

To check the tie rod, jack up one side just enough to get the tire off the ground. Grab the tire at the front and rear side and try to shake in and out. If you feel or hear a clunk, it is tie rod- either inner or outer at the joint. If you have someone to shake it for you, you can watch the tie rod for movement.

It is a pretty easy change.

Could be tie rod, ball joint, wheel bearing. Put the front end on jack stands grab each wheel at 12 and 6 and try to rock them. If you feel any play, its a ball joint or wheel bearing. Now grab each at 9 and 3 and try to rock them the same way. Any play that way is a tie rod or a wheel bearing.

You can check each for visible play with a pry bar and a large pair of channel locks.

Yes shake down the front end. If you reach behind the wheel and grab the tie rod and shake it as hard as you can you really shouldn't feel any looseness there. Outers are pretty easy to feel. Inners are a little harder to detect but if you shake it hard enough you can usually feel it if it's loose.

Shake the new shiny silver thing in this pic (this is after I replaced my inner and outer; if I replace the inner I usually just use a new outer since I have it apart): http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/tie-rod-ends/Subaru-inner-and-outer-tie-rod-ends-replaced1.jpg