Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL Wagon Coil...

My loyal little 84 GL wagon has had a few issues since purchase.

The car has always started VERY poorly when cold. It would finally catch after grinding and trying to go maybe on the fifth or sixth go (accelerator pump = OK, new cap, rotor, plugs, wires), would run like utter ************e for 30-90 seconds and then something seemed to 'catch,' and zoom, running like a sewing machine.

I thought that it kinda felt like the primary winding on the coil was shot, so I put on a new coil, and magic, it worked. I didn't drive it for a few weeks (in Europe on work), and came back and it cranked like it had no spark. I pop the hood, check cap/wires, and the negative lead on the coil has snapped off. 'Weird,' I think, and go exchange the coil. Back to perfect, and I go to drive it to work yesterday, and it just plain dies on me on the road, no spark.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a condenser/type thing that is attached to the negative lead of the coil, bolted to the fender well, and grounds to the block. This ground was stripped out of the head, and I haven't been able to find a place to attach it w/o tapping the old hole and using a 10mm bolt.

Suggestions? :confused: I'm confused as to why it is now suddenly seemingly eating coils... ?

• 2 months later...

OK.

So, I had to fly back to NJ to deal with a death in the family, clean out the barn, the basement and a two-car garage (if anyone is interested in a very clean 1965 Mustang convertible or a 1946 Ford Club Coupe - the 46 is a frame-off restoration with a Lebaron-Bonney interior, gorgeous car - let me know, I'll forward you details and such).

I got a distributor from a thread member (I can't remember his USMB handle and I don't want to use his real name if he likes anonymity), he believed it was a ND distro, so I bought it off him and months later I've finally gotten a brand new ND coil (which set me back $69.95), and a very clean Hitachi(?) distro.

Anyone have an ND distro for an EA81 I could trade for or buy or give you wampum or whatever?