Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I have to turn the bass all the way down to keep it from sounding terrible. There is some low level distortion, and the bass is way too strong.

Has anyone changed out just the speakers? I'm wondering if I can get a fix for less than a hundred bux. Not looking for audiophile quality, just decent sound.

I suppose I could do the speakers and if that doesn't fix it, replace the whole unit too. If I replaced the stereo, I'd probably replace the speakers too, so no money wasted.

I may not know as much about cars, but sound is definitely something I know.

Sounds to me like a blown woofer. I'd bet that replacing the speakers would do it. Only other guess would be that the actual unit is trying to put out too much bass, but that doesn't really make sense.

My money's on the speakers.

Did you buy the car new? Has it always done this or is it a recent thing?

Thanks for the pointers.

I bought the car new in April, with the standard sound system. It has always done this, I s'pose I'll ask the dealer. I've always chalked it up to characteristic of the system, there really isn't much distortion, just really strong bass. Perhaps they are trying to get subwoofer effects without the cost of installing a subwoofer. I currently have the bass at minimum (-8) and the mid and treble up just a little (+2).

Agreed, it's not a blown woofer. I know what those sound like.

I could also temporarily splice in another pair of speakers to test it.

Before you jump through hoops why don't you go into the dealer and check out another 2010 to see if it behaves the same as yours. You just may have a problem system/speaker/whatever that would be best left to the warranty coverage before you start monkeying around with splicing and dicing.

probably have settings messed up some how, like you pushed in the knob to turn volume, and it was set to adjust bass/treble/fader.

I like the old radios where you had separate bass and treble knobs, they were not built intot eh volume knob.

o well. my parents do not know how to run theirs either, they have the speakers messed up to all right or all front or something, cause they keep accidently getting it into the sound adjusting mode, instead of just volume,