Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 and 5 Speed into '79 Hatch

keltik

As per thread title, im putting a EJ22 into my hatchback and plan on using a 5 speed FWD impreza trans.

The FWD is a lot shorter than the AWD box so im pretty confident it will clear the trans tunnel easily. Im also confident i can make up some axles to fit it.

Any advice appreciated. The EJ22 has been converted with a distributor and weber carb. I will be using the EA alternator.

Basically wondering if anyone has done the EJ FWD swap before? As i CANNOT get any xt6 parts here - im scratching my head about what im going to do for a trans crossmember

you're gonna have truble mounting that Alt onto a EJ engine.

I would just wire the EJ alt to charge the car.

crossmember I would think modify a Legacy or 80's EA one.

Was chatting to LPGSuperchargedBrumby and he recommended it as ive already got the external regulator and apparently the alt bolts up fine - all thats required is to machine a little out of the back of the EJ pulley.

Will know for sure this weekend.

Biggest concern is will it fit in the tunnel?

Answer time :banana:

Yes the EJ 5 speed fits great. The axle stubs are the right spline count (box is from a 1996 EJ16 Impreza). The shifter linkage seems to line up about right, in fact i think it will bolt straight on with no mods and work great.

I still need to modify the crossmember and make some mounts to fit the center of the box. The EA mount at the rear of the box seems to mate up with the EJ one....so might not even need to change that.

The EA71 alternator fits onto the EJ22 with no issues. Just need to change the front pulley to the EJ22 one. The EJ pulley doesnt quite fit so had to mill a bit out of it to get it onto the EA alternator's spindle.

95575796.jpg

Edited by keltik

Carbed EJ with a v-belt/multi-rib hybrid crank pulley :confused:.

How much to ship me one of those manifolds and a distributor? :)

GD

Haha, what happened to EFI over carb any day? :lol:

I do have an EJ carb manifold sitting around here somewhere, and there's an EJ18 carb with whole dizzy sitting at the PAP down the road.

If Keltik can't hook you up, PM me, I might be able to sort something out.

The crank pulley is a standard EJ multi rib one, it just looks V-belt in that pic. Also i havnt changed the alternator pulley over in that pic.

As for the carb and manifold, I had to get mine from LPGSuperChargedBrumby in the south Island as there are NONE in wreckers near me. Could be worth sending him a message as it seems theres more where mine came from.

There's an EJ SPFI and an EJ carb in the Pick-A-Part in Auckland, one with a EJ push-button dual-range 5spd and the other with a full time EJ D/R box. Pretty surprised to see them at the smallest yard up here though - wonder what the bigger ones hold? :eek:

Just in case this info helps any future people:

The gearbox im using is a TM702 which is completely unknown to me. I know for a fact that the FWD Legacy trans is different.

Most Subarus here use a TY752 or TY754 trans depending on year and model. Never seen a TM702 before....but it does have a 23 spline count and a different shape casing.

• 2 months later...

Update again;

Ive got the engine and gearbox into the car. They fit just fine and the front halfshafts are on and the alternator is hooked up. Ive got a Weber 32/36 to run it all and am have a couple of small jobs left to do before its time to fire her up.

engine1.jpg

Gear linkage is hooked up and the stock linkage fits well enough to work - just needs a minor modification on the bottom mount.

Need a longer clutch cable and an ignitor but pretty much everything else was easy.

My new question is about wheel sizing. I've found a set of 15x7.5 rims off a Hilux i want to fit but dont know if the offset is ok to clear the trailing arms on the rear. Any help appreciated. Looking to run a low-pro tire stretched onto the rim.

Would also love to know if there is any adjustable strut for another car which will fit the front of the hatch.