Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilding Axle: Locating Parts.

I'm gonna rebuild one of my axles on the Legacy (25t axle) I need to find an online retailer that sells the correct bearings for the DOJ and the oblong bearings for the CVJ.

Anyone have links to axle rebuild store sites?

I think this has been touched or brought up once or twice but can't find anything on it.

-Tom

I'm gonna rebuild one of my axles on the Legacy (25t axle) I need to find an online retailer that sells the correct bearings for the DOJ and the oblong bearings for the CVJ.

Anyone have links to axle rebuild store sites?

-Tom

In order to "rebuild" an axle correctly you are basically only saving the shaft. The rest of the components are wear items - cups, races, balls, boots, etc, etc - all that stuff are wear items.

I would start by calling Rockford CV.

http://www.rockfordcv.com/

They have been around and been talked about here for ages. I've never called them but it would be interesting to see what a full joint/boot set would run.

Personally I just buy new EMPI axles for $69 each and be done with them. Other than a few boot failures I've not had a problem with any of them yet.

GD

So then really, whats the point on saving the shaft? Why not just buy a new shaft aswell - then you might aswell just buy a complete axle Lol.

Well then maybe I won't rebuild the two extra axles I have, I will just disassemble and clean and re-boot.

As for EMPI, where would you find them? I will do a little research on the net, do you order them right from them online or what?

Cheers and thanks guys!

-Tom

In order to "rebuild" an axle correctly you are basically only saving the shaft. The rest of the components are wear items - cups, races, balls, boots, etc, etc - all that stuff are wear items.

I would start by calling Rockford CV.

http://www.rockfordcv.com/

They have been around and been talked about here for ages. I've never called them but it would be interesting to see what a full joint/boot set would run.

Personally I just buy new EMPI axles for $69 each and be done with them. Other than a few boot failures I've not had a problem with any of them yet.

GD