Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do you love your subaru?

What do you love about your subaru and why?

post two pics and a description.

I can't explain what it is about my rusty crapbox wagon, but I love it. I hop in and drive and it makes me feel better. I parked my 98 ob because the 86 is just more..... fun i guess. I'm the second owner, and it had good maintenance all its life, But is slowly dieing of rust, but I still love it like it was a 2010 model.

40400_149878265023645_100000044165272_463995_2224431_n.jpg

40400_149878255023646_100000044165272_463992_5168879_n.jpg

i wouldn't call it love, they're metal to me, but 2 things come to mind:

convenience. in a joking manner i'd say "i know everything about Subaru's and nothing about anything else". no time or interest to learn something new so that makes subarus easy for me to work on and cheap.

XT6: attachment issues maybe? I've owned an XT (or 10 :lol:) since 1992 or 93. I enjoy the XT community, inexpensive, reliable, lots of knowledge and parts to keep them rolling....but there a novelty or something factor too.

Specifically for EA81's:

- easy to work on in these days of body control moduled cars

- no need to worry when you see the odometer hit several hunderd thousand as they seem to just keep going

- cheap to puchase.....no car payments!!!

they are or were the car that would never quit on you think about it how many times has you honda mazda chevy or ford lefted you setting on the side of the road subarus are just so dependable and go anywhere. think about it take a 80s subaru wagon unlifted and where can you go they go about anywhere as long as you don't get high centered you probably want get stuck and thats with stock gearing they can take more abuse than most newer 4x4 trucks and suvs and will probably out last them too using less gas in the process I mean come on what 4wd truck or suv you know of gets 30 mpg very few

and the legendary ea81 that will easily last 300k-400k sure they are alittle weak in stock form but come on thats with just regular maintenance what 4wd truck or suv made now will do that and get 30 mpg you have to LOVE THEM

the only way old soobs die is from rust if they would have made them out of stainless steel they would never die and all you would need is one car for your hole lifetime thats what they should of done

I like the old ones better myself, but I drive a more customized wagon these days. With a nice ej22 swapped in by Numbchux, it has plenty of power and runs very smooth. Put in some '07 WRX TR seats and now it's comfy too! I'm doing my best to keep the rust at bay and I expect this car to be around for quite a few years.

It'll go anywhere and drive through anything I need it to and if it gets a new dent somewhere, so what!? :banana:

It makes me sad that my EA81's are slowly dissapearing and being written out of the stocked parts catalogs. I can see a day very soon when I will have to retire my EA81's from daily driving because of this. The body will live on with an EJ but it's not the same. More power - yes. Faster - yes.

Not simpler or more reliable though and those are values that I cannot replace with anything of a similar price. I will drive a Legacy for a daily. And I will enjoy it for what it is - well constructed, powerful, even fun to drive. But it's not the same and never will be. I can't change a water pump in 15 minutes and I still have to think about that timing belt occasionally. Can't easily tear the engine down to the short-block with it in the car.... etc.

I work almost exclusively with EJ stuff now for a living. I have owned and driven plenty of EJ powered cars right up to late models with nearly no mileage on them. But what do I drive for a daily? An '83 Hatch with 260k+ on it, one cylinder with low compression, burns a quart every 1k, no 3rd gear (I use 4th low), and tires that I have to fill every other day. That says a lot I think. I can trust that car in ways that I could never trust an EJ vehicle of any vintage.

GD

It makes me sad that my EA81's are slowly dissapearing and being written out of the stocked parts catalogs. I can see a day very soon when I will have to retire my EA81's from daily driving because of this. The body will live on with an EJ but it's not the same. More power - yes. Faster - yes.

Not simpler or more reliable though and those are values that I cannot replace with anything of a similar price. I will drive a Legacy for a daily. And I will enjoy it for what it is - well constructed, powerful, even fun to drive. But it's not the same and never will be. I can't change a water pump in 15 minutes and I still have to think about that timing belt occasionally. Can't easily tear the engine down to the short-block with it in the car.... etc.

I work almost exclusively with EJ stuff now for a living. I have owned and driven plenty of EJ powered cars right up to late models with nearly no mileage on them. But what do I drive for a daily? An '83 Hatch with 260k+ on it, one cylinder with low compression, burns a quart every 1k, no 3rd gear (I use 4th low), and tires that I have to fill every other day. That says a lot I think. I can trust that car in ways that I could never trust an EJ vehicle of any vintage.

GD

+1

That is why I trust this:

0722101116a.jpg

More than I trust this:

0612101847.jpg

And I've owned the legacy longer and done more to it!

The simplicity and security is just too much to ignore.

And as a suggestion for the out dated parts, UPGRADE :D

Twitch

Because no matter how bad I beat the crap out of it (and I do) it keeps happily ticking along. Don't get me wrong, I maintain my cars. Regular fluid changes, tune up and repairs when necessary, but I am damn hard on vehicles. For the last 7 or 8 years I've owned this particular Brat, it's sat all but 6-10 days out of every year when I'd pull it out, get a temp tag and bomb it around hauling kids and firewood while camping. Every time, I could pump it 4 or 5 times and fire it right up. When we go out on a guys only weekend, I get ************ for towing a Brat behind my 3/4 ton Chev to use as my wheeling vehicle. The ************ stops when I'm the first to outclimb the other rigs, when I drift it through a mudhole, or when I tear off through the trees and beat them where they're going. Now that I finally have the title and I drive it regularly, I realize how much I missed it. I'm with GD, you gotta love something that can be torn down in it's own engine bay and where all but the very worst case scenarios can be handled in 3 hours or less with the bulk of those jobs being under and hour! LONG LIVE THE EA81!!! (and Da Brat..)

I'm right with GD the ea81 is timeless we are going too have to start a out cry for aftermarket support or sum thing my ea81 wagons brat and hatch are still daily drivers for now but in 5 years or they'll be parked in the barn if it gets any harder to find parts I know out west where you are the bodies don't rot down so bad but here in the south motor parts and trannys are easy to find the junkyards crush the rusty ones and put there motors tranny in old school buses so body parts are hard to find and pricey