Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about gearing, 3.70vs.3.90vs.4.11vs.4.44

I realise you guys didn't get the EJ dual range AWD. ***I would like to note that I have NOT built this gearbox before*** But it would be doable as subarus work like lego, you just have to nut it out.

What you'll need:

A press suitable for pressing off gears.

L series dual range gearbox, flywheel and clutch

EJ single range gearbox with the desired gear ratios, diff ratio can be swapped out for the one you're after same as what superu has done in this thread.

EJ/EA adaptor plate, EA start motor.

What you need to do is split both gearboxes so that they look like this:

L series PT4wd Dual Range gearbox:

p7281495.jpg

The idea here is to use the L series' input shaft to gain the use of the dual range gearing that is located above the front diff.

To get your EJ gearing for your model of vehicle you will need to press off the gears from the top gearsets - keep track of what goes where as you'll need the EJ gearset to press back onto the L series' input/top gearset shaft.

Bascially once you've got this step complete you remove the L series lower gearset, reverse gear and front diff, drop in the EJ lower gearset, reverse gear and front diff. MAKE SURE you have the 25 spline output stubs on the diff, otherwise you'll have to stuff around with your drive shafts! They're a simply circlip to deal with ;)

IF you will be running 4.11 or 4.44 ratio diffs these will foul on the L series low range. You WILL NEED to shave the crown wheel to gain the necessary clearance to make it all work without interference.

Once you've got this done you can then re-assemble. Make sure you correctly adjust your preload and backlash on the diff for correct installation.

The rear housing that has the centre diff will simply bolt back on to the EA front casings. Once you have it all back together you have an EA cased EJ dual range gearbox - as close as you'll get to a factory unit like we have over here.

To bolt it to your EJ engine you will need to us the EA flywheel with the elongated crank bolt holes as well as the EJ/EA adaptor plate. Bolt in the EA starter motor to get your EJ started. The gearbox will bolt in using the stock EJ gear shifter.

You will have to get creative with the low range lever as you cannot use the EA unit. The factory EJ low range selector uses a cable and a small lever mounted near the coin tray in the console. A solenoid could solve the problem with a button on the dash - this will be trial and error I'm sorry!

Hope this helps you out, not only do you get AWD advantages, you also get the best low range that subaru offered.

The RX AWD dual range gearbox will do the same but you will need a custom gearbox crossmember, prop shaft and most likely shifter linkages again.

Any Q's fire away!

Cheers

Bennie

That's good stuff Bennie and a great idea to get EJ AWD in a dual range over here, from what we have available here!!

BUT, pressing off and on 1-5 gears and reverse sounde like a "hand of God" proposition to me... It's that that turned me away from trying to reserve my 3.90 FD legacy's 5th instead of the 99 OB 5th I now have... which works out fine, i just drive 65 instead of 70- 75 on the interstate.. No big deal.

But could you show or draft into a picture, where or what on the crown wheel and or casing one would need to shave/grind wo stuff 4.11 or 4.442 in the GL low gear?

And would that hold true with an EJ dual range gearbox case?

Ciao

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good stuff Bennie and a great idea to get EJ AWD in a dual range over here, from what we have available here!!

BUT, pressing off and on 1-5 gears and reverse sounde like a "hand of God" proposition to me...

Yeah if you don't have the proper equipment or a mate that's got the gear, then it'll be a difficult process.

could you show or draft into a picture, where or what on the crown wheel and or casing one would need to shave/grind wo stuff 4.11 or 4.442 in the GL low gear?

I'll get on to a mate who's done it before, I've only read about it and know that it needs to be done for these final ratios with the L series low range. When you drop it all in it's pretty apparent what needs work done...

Yes it would - case internals are pretty much the exact same for the front cases. There's a couple of differences such as the low range light which I forgot to mention :( The EJ use the selector fork to trigger the low range light via a switch that is mounted directly above the fork - the fork has a tab on it to push the button. The other real difference is the bellhousing design for the different stud pattern.

The only real downer about this is that you have to use the adaptor plate and worst of all the EA clutch setup - which should probably be beefed up = more $$$s needed...

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah if you don't have the proper equipment or a mate that's got the gear, then it'll be a difficult process.

I'll get on to a mate who's done it before, I've only read about it and know that it needs to be done for these final ratios with the L series low range. When you drop it all in it's pretty apparent what needs work done...

Yes it would - case internals are pretty much the exact same for the front cases. There's a couple of differences such as the low range light which I forgot to mention :( The EJ use the selector fork to trigger the low range light via a switch that is mounted directly above the fork - the fork has a tab on it to push the button. The other real difference is the bellhousing design for the different stud pattern.

The only real downer about this is that you have to use the adaptor plate and worst of all the EA clutch setup - which should probably be beefed up = more $$$s needed...

Cheers

Bennie

I think folks that do the EA 4x4 swap into an EJ, with the adaptor plate use XT or RX clutch kits... ??

supposedly better than a GL spec, but not quite the spec of an EJ

could you show or draft into a picture, where or what on the crown wheel and or casing one would need to shave/grind wo stuff 4.11 or 4.442 in the GL low gear?

outbacklowrange_23.jpg

The crown wheel would need a little bit shaved off regardless of what casings were used to house the diff... You should be able to work out what needs to be messed with and what should be left alone...

Cheers

Bennie