Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i picked up a 98 outback with bad HGs that has been sitting for ~18months and the brand new rotors (and pads) he put on the week before are now rusty. i pulled them to take and get them turned for my daily driver, but i was wondering if there was a process i could do myself to save the trip.

my daily driver needs rotors and i thought i would use these while the 98 is on jack stands and have mine turned to install once the swap is done.

i just don't know how much hand sanding , if any, is too much. any tricks or tips??

thanks,

I've usually found that where the pads sat is hard to do by hand well enough.

If the rust got deep enough they will never really get totally smooth and you'll notice it a little when driving.

If I have a car set for a year I plan on new rotors/pads and I closely check the brake lines (living in the rust belt and car is often parked in grass).

If not rusted to oblivion, I would install the rusty rotors, and drive ez for a while, and let the brake pads sand down the rotors.

If rusted badly, it is best to remove the rotors and get them turned. There are two bolts that hold the rotor in place. They can be difficult to remove. Suggest you use some PB Blaster, and wait a half hour or so for the Blaster to loosen the rust. I just replaced my front rotors this past weekend, so the rusted in place bolts are fresh in my memory.

well i took them by the machine shop today and learned that they are not new, they were turned just before it was parked. and there is not enough left to turn them. so it is either use them as is or toss them.

i think i will try them as a temporary while i get my daily driver rotors turned. if they end up working well, ok but if not i'll just get new.

by the way, while talking to the machine shop i learned,

rotors turned = 12$ each

heads cleaned and "vacuume checked" = 20$ each

heads resurfaced = 47$ each

comments ?? this is my first ever conversation with a machine shop.