Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a 5 speed for a '99 OBW. Now I hear there are some differences with the bell housing bolts with earlier years?

I have found some good local deals on '98 OBW 5 speeds. The gear ratio will be 4.11 for all the '97+ OBW's right?

Would I have any trouble with a '97 or '98 trans going into this car? The car has a lower mileage engine and I'm looking for a trans with similar mileage and a good deal of course :). I haven't found the deal I'm looking for on a '99 but there are several '98's so I'm hoping I can go that route.....

Thanks,

GD

99+ has the 8 bolt setup but an earlier one will work. They all have the bottom two studs and top two bolts in common. Should have the same final drive ratios. Someone on the forum has the chart that shows the transmisson sticker number to ratio.

yep, easy swap GD. just bolt it up and make sure the final drive matches.

any GT trans should work as well, there should be plenty of years/models that work.

not sure how the cable/hydraulic systems shakes out between years/models but those are swappable too.

I found a '97 for $375 local to me with 110k on it. Any OB tranny from '97 to '99 would be a 4.11 correct? I suppose it doesn't matter since for just a bit more I could probably get a diff to match it. :)

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think I'll pickup this '97 I found and see how that plays out.

Got this car for a song with a totally shot 5 speed. Won't go in any gear and only sometimes will it move in reverse :rolleyes:

GD

99 is the newer trans with a different type of center diff.

I assume that part doesn't matter right? There's nothing about the ABS, electronics, rear diff, etc that's going to care what type of center coupling it has right?

There is a slight diference in overall length.....maybe want to measure and make sure the driveline and shifter will still work.

How much are we talking? And if that's the case I can just use the front driveline/shifter bits from the '97 and those should bolt up right?

Thanks for the heads up - I like things to go easily but I've found differences that no one talks about when I've done stuff like this before and it's caused me issues.

GD

99 is the newer trans with a different type of center diff.

There is a slight diference in overall length.....maybe want to measure and make sure the driveline and shifter will still work.

Does not matter. I have put a phase 1 trans into a car that had the newer center diff. It all bolts in.