Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone want to help do some mechanicing?

Is there anybody who has some time off ( afternoon- i'm guessing/ allotting at least 4hrs to do this, i work a rotating shift with variable days off) to assist in swapping out the front axles on a 86 gl hatch? (68123, NE)

I went through a couple of manuals i have and they don't give detail enough to pull the axle. So that is why I am asking for help from those individuals that have done this and experience to do this efficiently.

WHY: The CV boot tore and right now i got it patched with, you guessed it, duct tape and still holding with what grease is left.

My preliminary attempt to replace the axle got me to the point of tire removal, 36mm nut off, and 90 minutes to remove the castle nut off the lower control arm, ( it looked like part of the right sequence to remove the axle because it would release the wheel)

the cotter pin was jammed ( so old there was nothing left to pull it out. I broke 2 drill bits and a punch trying to remove it.

Also, I discovered I need to replace the brake pads, but trying to figure out to remove the caliper from the assembly.

Any suggestions to help replace it or any takers to assist?

I have the Base auto hobby shop available to do this work.

thanks

Ken

kasnospam AT yahoo DOT com

Edited by Sioux-baru
addition

Sounds like you were trying to remove the ball-joint jam-nut on the bottom of the control arm. That is typically a bad idea since they get rusty and messed up down there and also you usually end up destroying the boot on the ball joint and thus needing a replacement if you get the ball joint out of the control arm (it's a tapered fit and they are REALLY tight sometimes). The best option is typically to take the inner control arm bolt loose (the one that holds the control arm to the engine cross-member). Once that is out the control arm is free to move outward if you disconnect the sway bar link. Just those two should be enough to get the axle off the tranny and pull it out of the knuckle.

GD

Another option that i have used as well as the inner control arm bolt is to just unbolt the strut/shock from the knuckle and kick the whole thing down. That will give you enough clearance to get the axle out as well. I leave a bit of grease on the end of my strut just so that it can slide out somewhat easy in the future if i need it to. Either way will work however. Just trying to give you more than one option. But i def agree with GD. Dont waste your time with the balljoint nut.