Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96+ Subaru's are all interferance (even the 2.2). The '95 EJ22 was the last non-interferance engine made.

When they went to the solid lifter, roller rocker, single port heads (in '96) the EJ22 became interferance. The EJ25D's are all interferance in that the valves can hit each other and the pistons if the belt breaks. They have pop-up pistons that extend beyond the top of the deck. About 75% of the time this results in valve damage but it can usually be repaired.

Figure probably around $200 to $250 in machine work to repair the heads. And another $300 to $500 or so in parts to do the timing belt/head gasket job. I'm doing a valve job (burnt valve) on a '97 EJ22 right now and the machine work/parts was over $800 my cost but that includes $220 for reman injectors and seals since the burnt valve was likely due to a clogged injector going lean.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

'96+ Subaru's are all interferance (even the 2.2). The '95 EJ22 was the last non-interferance engine made.

When they went to the solid lifter, roller rocker, single port heads (in '96) the EJ22 became interferance.

96 EJ22's are non-interference.

for your 96:

if it's a manual trans, it's an EJ22 and non-interference.

if it's an auto it's an EJ25 and interference.

it is fixable, the engine block will be fine, you'll need a head job and new valves.

Gentlemen,

The plural of EJ22 is EJ22s. Not EJ22's.

EJ22s=More than one EJ22

EJ22's=EJ22 is, or belonging to an EJ22

The plural of EJ22 is :

EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22 EJ22

:clap::brow::-p

one of the big buying points for me so it's something I never have to worry about in case of an emergency.

Almost a non-existent failure in the scheme of things. If properly maintained the belts will never break. It's so rare that I've never even seen a breakage personally. It seems like the way to go when you come from the EA82 land, but ultimately the EJ belts are really large and strong. I've seen belts that did NOT break after water pumps and cogged idlers seized - I've seen the cogged idler actually use it's bolt as an axle and the engine still keep running for 150 miles.

I used to think the same as you - till I started working on a lot of EJ's - now it doesn't bother me in the least. The chances of an ignition component or other electronic part stranding me somewhere are higher than that timing belt breaking. :rolleyes:

GD

Hhhmmm - I thought it was because of the head change..... there must be some other changes made in '97 then. It's hard to follow the evolution when they change stuff every year :rolleyes:.

GD

96 for the ej22 was still non-interference, still HLAs, but only single port exhaust.

i have read that the interference in the 97 and up ej22 was/is caused by the piston change, less clearance more HP. but i don't really know.

i also have read if you swap in 96 style pistons it becomes non-interference, but again, i don't know. and i'll never do that when i can pick up another engine for cheap.

Gentlemen,

The plural of EJ22 is EJ22s. Not EJ22's.

EJ22s=More than one EJ22

EJ22's=EJ22 is, or belonging to an EJ22

you could probably spend the rest of your life going through online forums correcting grammar. i'm here to help fix cars. i'll communicate however i see fit. there are mistakes in your reply :lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Not EJ22's." is not a complete sentence.

:lol:

Edited by grossgary