Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 in an 82 Brat?

You have to move the hill holder and the distributor is very close to the master cylinder bleeders - but it will work. You might have to notch the driver's side frame rail to clear the valve cover on that side. Depends on your transmission setup, etc. I put one in my Brat - hate the engine but I had it and it's got low mileage so I put it in there a few years ago.

+1 on the EJ22. Way better swap and it actually fits with the HH and MC, etc without modifications.

GD

If you go with the EA82 engine;

Move the HH towards the firewall, the distance of the mounting holes. In other words, the front mount bolt will go in the rear frame hole, you need to drill the new rear mount hole.

Best to remove the disty to install the engine, but just removing the cap gives you wiggle room. Disty is very close to the MC during install, but plenty of clearence after engine is in.

A previous owner of my '82 did the swap, I pulled the engine for a reseal and corrected some of the things they did on the re-install.

I found a flex hose to fit for the lower radiator to waterpump inlet.

The EA82 lower radiator hose is a trim to fit for the T-stat to upper radiator hose for the EA81 radiator.

I left the waterpump driven fan off, just so there was some more room at the radiator. The electric fan did it's job of keeping engine cool.

They swapped the EA81 flywheel/clutch onto the EA82. I would leave the EA82 flywheel on the engine, find a clutch set-up to work with your trans. Or, swap in the EA82 5-speed.

You can use the EA81 flywheel on the EA82, but you need to transfer the T-belt and ignition timing marks over to it.

Believe me, it's no fun doing T-belts with no marks to go by. BT-DT!

thanks Tom/GD, thats what I needed to know...that it can be done without lots of headaches. One other Q, since this was a late EA82 engine, what dizzy should I get to switch back to non-ECU controlled ignition?

thanks again

Bill

thanks Tom/GD, thats what I needed to know...that it can be done without lots of headaches. One other Q, since this was a late EA82 engine, what dizzy should I get to switch back to non-ECU controlled ignition?

thanks again

Bill

You need a disty from a Carbed EA82

I've got one, from a running car. I could ship ya cheap if you want. PM me

The EA82 lower radiator hose is a trim to fit for the T-stat to upper radiator hose for the EA81 radiator.

It helps to note which EA82 lower hose you are using - the '80s one or the '91+? One. They changed the lower radiator nipple in the early '90s and so there's a different hose called for. I can't remember which one I used now - maybe you know Tom?

GD

It helps to note which EA82 lower hose you are using - the '80s one or the '91+? One. They changed the lower radiator nipple in the early '90s and so there's a different hose called for. I can't remember which one I used now - maybe you know Tom?

GD

Good point GD.

My experience has been with the earlier ones, '85-'89. But I do know they changed the angle of the lower outlet on the later radiators.

So yeah, one needs the earlier EA82 lower hose to fit the EA81 radiator for the upper return hose.

IMO you would be best off buying a GL with a blown engine... putting in your good engine, selling that and using the money to either buy a good EA81 or buy a legacy parts car (like wrecked for $300 or something) and convert the brat.

+1!! ea82 is definitely not your best bet

went and looked at the Brat today. Nice complete T-Topped car, but the paint was the only thing holding the rust together. He had said it wasn't very rusty which is why I was moving towards it. I happened to lightly kick the rocker and I put my foot through it. Oh well... Next up is an 84 Vanagon (waterboxer) with a blown engine...stuff the EA82 in there!!!

Bill