Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat or bust.... A tale of woe

So I get the dolly and my cash and head to Aberdeen this morning. There was an 83 Brat on CL for $1200. Talked with the guy a couple of times, told me it had rusted through in a few sections of the bed to cab wall, top of the tailgate, had the normal dents and dings and that it was using coolant so he thought head gasket. He was up front with everything and sent several pics of the rig and said he would take $800. I'm thinking I'll get it for less... Has a perfect topper, brush guard and two alloys identical to my set. So I get there and meet the guy. In his mid 70's and a real nice guy. He's got an extra engine, receipts for a new clutch, caliper, pads and some other stuff. I start looking her over, and find the entire lower section of the drivers door is rusted through, 50% of the A pillar between the hinges is gone and a hole at windshield level and the passenger side isn't too far off. This guy can barely walk let alone bend down to see stuff like this, so I know he didn't see it before. He starts apologizing and dropping the price. At this point, I'm gonna pas. Metal working is no problem as I rebuilt the sunroof frame in my XT, but just based on what I saw and it's location.... not something I want to spend time on. Not to mention, WTH am I going to find once I really get into it. He felt bad about me coming all the way down and we BS'd for a while. He's going to keep it for a parts runner, add some Bars snake oil for the leak and call me when it's dead for the parts. I guess it's better than nothing. We'll wait and see....