Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulled out a blown 2.2 out of my sons 95 Impreza and put another 2.2 engine in. Got everything hooked back up and last thing was the tube from EGR valve. I found there is no hole for the other end of the tube in the bottom left side head. Did they make some different kind of set up for the EGR valve on some 2.2 engines ???? Im stuck now big time. Need some help guys. I dont think I can plug EGR and run without it. HELP !!!

You can drill/tap the hole into the exhaust port. Or bend up a new tube and route it to the exhaust pipe under the head.... etc. There's all kinds of solutions that could work.

If it were me (and I've thought about this problem) then I would remove the stock tube and get some fittings to adapt to a braided SS line and run that to a female port welded into the header. It's easier than messing with the head unless you pull the engine out of the car - if the engine is out just drill and tap the port for the EGR. It's not that hard.

GD

***caution limited experience*** itd prolly be a bunch of work but is the head still good on the old motor? if they are similar could you not swap them???

again, i have NO exp w/ ej's but methodically it makes cents to me

(corrections expected) RV

Could he just go get the ECU out of the car he got the engine out of?

It's an automatic/manual thing and you just end up with a bunch of other codes instead of the EGR code if you do that.

If you can live with the EGR code you can just block off the port on the manifold and drive on - it's still going to run just fine without the EGR. Just pops a code and a CEL. Changing the ECU pops more than one code and results in wiring changes, and other cludge filled issues in order to get rid of those codes. So it's not really a good solution.

GD

you got an EJ22 without EGR - yes some have it and some do not.

you can totally run without EGR - i've been doing it for years. look at it as being more reliable - fewer parts and hoses. just ignore the check engine light, you don't really have any other options to use this engine. swapping ECU's will not do anything.

to "fix" it:

you'll need to swap in a head with EGR

or swap another motor.

or drill and tap the head or drill and tap a part elsewhere in the exhaust and plumb the existing line to it.

Thanks for the great advice guys. Was just worried about running without EGR. I typed in on the net ( can you run a car without an EGR ) and read some not so good news. Like burning valve seals, and too much heat in the piston chamebers and rough running. And than some people say they have no problem at all. One way or another its gonna run. Its too hot to pull it out again and my boy cant wait to drive it. lol WE put TOO much work in this for it not to run. We pulled this engine out by hand with a treated 4x4 post and a cable in 90 degree heat and put the other one in the same way. Im sure after this my boy will learn to check the oil so he dont blow another one, cause the next engine hes on his own. Im getting too old for this. thanks guys

It's an automatic/manual thing and you just end up with a bunch of other codes instead of the EGR code if you do that.

If you can live with the EGR code you can just block off the port on the manifold and drive on - it's still going to run just fine without the EGR. Just pops a code and a CEL. Changing the ECU pops more than one code and results in wiring changes, and other cludge filled issues in order to get rid of those codes. So it's not really a good solution.

GD

Seems to me that if you ground the MT ID pin on the ECU it stops looking for all the AT related stuff?

But either way. Except for the light being on the engine should run fine with no EGR. If it pings switch to mid grade fuel and you should be good to go.

Seems to me that if you ground the MT ID pin on the ECU it stops looking for all the AT related stuff?

Right.... but then you haven't really swapped the ECU at all :). Basically it's a no-win situation because faking out the AT switches and sensors is probably harder than fixing the EGR issue. :-\

It's pretty much a huge s**t sandwitch no matter how you slice it.

GD

I got it !!! It runs just fine. No check engine light came on. Cut EGR tube in half,smashed cut end with ballpene hammer so no air escapes, and bolted other end back to EGR hole. I thank you guys for all your great info. Im happy,and my sons happy he can drive his Impreza again. You guys are great and this web site is the best. thanks:banana: