Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut "Top hat" creaks & crokes

My 98 OBW driver side strut bearing (top hat) has developed creak and croke noise, especially when turning the steering wheel when barely moving. It is prolly OEM original strut, so I guess it is entitled to a bit of play to make noise. I don't experience any looseness in the steering or suspension, so I don't think it is worth a tear down to replace the strut bearing and strut. Question is........Is there any way to lube the top hat to eliminate the noise?

easy - get a needle fitting which are at any auto parts store and costs a couple dollars and fit on any grease gun. inject some grease down into the bearings. noise gradually goes away and is completely gone in a week or two. they're just dried out, no need to replace.

i believe there are some "spray in" style greases too - you spray it in and then it coagulates into actual grease, but i've never seen it for sale in a store.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is the strut mount at the top of the strut tower. Is there access under the hood to inject grease with a needle fitting? I remember white lithium grease in an aerosol can with a narrow soda straw wand attachment. Will that work?

i've seen a couple different styles sort of - not sure what yours will look like. but yeah, pop hood and there's the strut tops, might be a small plug/cap to pry off to see the bearings. get grease down in there. have a look first and then decide which way you want to go. it took me like a minute, it's really easy.

i've seen a couple different styles sort of - not sure what yours will look like. but yeah, pop hood and there's the strut tops, might be a small plug/cap to pry off to see the bearings. get grease down in there. have a look first and then decide which way you want to go. it took me like a minute, it's really easy.

Thanks for the advise, I will give it a try! Larry (Rooster2)