Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ordered my Weber, how long to install?

I finally ordered my carb. Im only going to be able to take one turn off from

work, about a day and a half. How long should it take me to get this new,

properly jetted carb installed and running well enough to get me back and

forth to work for say a month. By then I will be able to take some more time

off for fine tunning. Im hoping that it will take about 4 hours to install and

tune, but Im not sure. By the way it is an 86 ea82 GL wagon.

Thanks

Mike

If you have never done one..... probably half a day anyway. But you have to figure a trip or two to the auto parts store in there somewhere unless you have a large stock of stuff on hand.

Depends a lot on your skill with carbs - tuning them can be troublesome for the uninitiated. If you have lots of experience with carbs and tuning them as well as hoses, fitting, spare parts, and all the other little details laying around your shop then it can easily be done in 4 hours.

It also depends on how far you take it - there is the ASV issue to deal with as well as the AAV and carbon canistor to eliminate, power steering reservoir to modify, etc. A big part of the install is removal of equipment that you won't be using with the Weber and basically "setting up" the engine and engine bay for the Weber. It takes time to do it right.

GD

FWIW, there is a neat and easy trick to plugging the ASV pipes.

And best part is it only costs 50 cents.

Simply unscrew the large stainless pipe from the boxes on the back of the engine. Shove a quarter in the hole, and thread the pipe back on. The rubber hoses and plastic silencer box can all be removed.

In the past I've brazed closed the pipes, or made block off plates.....But really the quarters is the quickest way.

Yeah - I've done it with quarters too. But I hate looking at all that crap so what I do (on the EA82's) is cut the head flange off of the pipe with about 3/4" of pipe left on it. I hammer the end of the pipe flat and run a weld bead across it then bolt it back on. The rest of the stuff I just toss. Quick and dirty - not as quick as the quarters but it cleans up the engine bay which is one of the reasons I like the Weber upgrade :)

GD

But you have to figure a trip or two to the auto parts store in there somewhere unless you have a large stock of stuff on hand.

GD

Yeah i live about 60 miles away from any store that had proper hoses for fuel and vacuum...so mine took several days at minimum.

Plus i had to wait on the proper Subaru intake gaskets cause i wasnt using the cardboard ones i had...

I would say plan to be down 5 days max, or 2 days minimum....

The flathead bolts in the kit are to long, so you need to get shorter ones. Don't really recall length of proper ones right now.

Get some 3' lenghts of fuel hose. You'll need it. Original hoses won't reach to the new inlet/return from the carb. There is enough free-length of hose there now, so undo them form the carb you have, cut a bit off, then head to the parts store with them, get some new hose to match. Refit the hoses if you need to, to get to the parts store...

Use the cable attachment off your old carb on the Weber. May need to space it out a bit on the throttleshaft, flat washers will work there. Depending on how the choke rods are bent, it can interfere with the cable crank, hence need for spacing.

Also, use the T-fitting for the fuel line from you're old carb on the Weber. That gives you the inlet/return fitting you need.

• 2 weeks later...