Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS Broken Down in Michigan City, IN. HELP!

Larry, they found my car and my keys. Keys were a few blocks away under a dumpster. They took both my car and keys to the police dept as evidence. No idea when I will get it back or if anything is missing. I didn't get a chance to check my car or even see it.

This Chicago->Boston trip has left me stranded in multiple areas.

Larry, they found my car and my keys. Keys were a few blocks away under a dumpster. They took both my car and keys to the police dept as evidence. No idea when I will get it back or if anything is missing. I didn't get a chance to check my car or even see it.

This Chicago->Boston trip has left me stranded in multiple areas.

I have had a car stolen, then notified by the police that the car was found and towed to lot. It was simply a matter of showing lot manager my ID, and paying for tow and lot storage fee to get possession of the car . If your car is being kept as "evidence," then it must have been used in a crime by the guy who stole it? I am thinking it became the get away car in an armed robbery? Check with cops again, as to how and when you can get a "release" on your car. Cops can't keep your car indefinitely...Larry

Larry, they told me they are having an evidence technician go through the car and dust it for prints and other info that might lead to the perp. It was used as a get away car in an armed robbery.

It was pretty easy to guess correctly that your car becoming the get away car. Still, gathering prints, and other potential left behind robber evidence shouldn't take long.

A car was abandoned in front of my house last year that turned out to be a stolen car used as a get away car in a robbery. Before the car was towed, the cop tech guy dusted down the car for prints. This didn't take much time, so I think you should get your car returned very soon.....Larry

I called the PD and asked to talk to the detective on the case. They told me none is assigned. I asked how/when I can get my car back. They said I would need to talk to the PO who took the report, but he gets on duty at midnight. No one else can help me, they said.

This is really, really unhelpful.

I called the PD and asked to talk to the detective on the case. They told me none is assigned. I asked how/when I can get my car back. They said I would need to talk to the PO who took the report, but he gets on duty at midnight. No one else can help me, they said.

This is really, really unhelpful.

Call the PO after midnight?? They gotta be kidding. This can't be standard operating procedure. Suggest you call back, and talk with PO's boss, or better yet, go down to police station to end the run-around...........Larry

Call the PO after midnight?? They gotta be kidding. This can't be standard operating procedure. Suggest you call back, and talk with PO's boss, or better yet, go down to police station to end the run-around...........Larry

I did. I called Patrol Division and the Detectives Division and they all said the same thing. This is obscene. I was almost murdered and my car stolen in a violent attack. The police are doing a good job of making this more traumatic.

I did. I called Patrol Division and the Detectives Division and they all said the same thing. This is obscene. I was almost murdered and my car stolen in a violent attack. The police are doing a good job of making this more traumatic.

What a joke they have for a police force. Next thing you know, they will think you had something to do with the armed robbery, since it was your car used as the get away car. I can't think of any better advise, except to keep calling them. Somehow, you need to find the right person (mentor) in the police department, who can move the paper work, so you can get your car back.

Sorry to hear how absolutely wonderful your trip has turned out. :eek:

Might try telling the local news about it? Nothing better than some bad press to get the mayor involved in getting some lazy police captain off his/her rump roast.

It's absurd that nobody can tell you what's going on.

Replaced the knock sensor today with an aftermarket I got at Advance for $43. There was a $30 off code, which I think it pretty cool. I cleared the code and let the car idle for 10 minutes and the CEL didn't come back. Also scanned it and saw no pending codes.

Got the old engine in the basement of my friend's house. In a few weeks I'll head over and we'll take the heads off and send them out for machining. Will also begin to strip the block, as well.