Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rotors and calipers for 16" vs 14" wheels

Hi All,

I was checking the brakes on my '93 wagon for an upcoming trailer towing trip and it looks like the front rotors are just about at the ready to be replaced stage. Originally it had 14" wheels, but the previous owner put on 16" wheels from a ~2000 GT. Now I have bigger wheels with the original rotors (24 x 260 mm) So, should I just replace them with stock rotors meant for 14" wheels or use larger ones? Also, since there's towing in my future, should dual-piston calipers be considered while I'm at it? Anyone know about any fitment issues with any of this?

Hi All,

I was checking the brakes on my '93 wagon for an upcoming trailer towing trip and it looks like the front rotors are just about at the ready to be replaced stage. Originally it had 14" wheels, but the previous owner put on 16" wheels from a ~2000 GT. Now I have bigger wheels with the original rotors (24 x 260 mm) So, should I just replace them with stock rotors meant for 14" wheels or use larger ones? Also, since there's towing in my future, should dual-piston calipers be considered while I'm at it? Anyone know about any fitment issues with any of this?

you cant change the rotors without changing the calipers, they go hand in hand. but you can swap both onto your hub/knuckle, no problem. used calipers might be a good option, but you will probably want to use new rotors and pads.

and bigger is better.

Generally matching rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, and pads are needed to do this kind of swap. Sometimes you can get good deals on the whole deal when someone upgrades their brakes and sells all there old components. Sometimes people do this on WRX's etc so you can sometimes find all those components as a set. Shipping is kind of a killer because of the weight involved.

A good upgrade are the brakes from a '96-99 Outback or Forester...they are the same/similar to the brakes on the '91-94 Legacy Turbo.

A better upgrade is the WRX setup mentioned above.

I've done both the OB and WRX upgrades, and you'll need the calipers/pads, rotors, and brackets. The brackets will bolt right up to your hubs.

NASIOC has the WRX items for sale on regular basis and usually less than $150 for a complete front setup.

Remember, your original spare tire won't fit the fronts, so you'll have to swap back to front if you get a flat.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

It's a little more work when swapping tires between winter and summer, but a person could also swap back to the original rotors, calipers, pads, etc., in the summer along with the smaller size wheels.

When running larger tires it does reduce the mechanical advantage of the brakes so an upgrade to larger rotors can help. I know on my '96 Legacy brighton with the single pot fronts the brakes are barely adequate with the larger Outback size tires on there. It will stop ok but you are really standing on the pedal if you have to stop quick. I'm planning such a swap on that one.

Thanks guys, great help as always - gotta love USMB!. So, it looks like my options are ~277 mm rotors (like '99 Forester) or ~293 mm rotors (like '02 WRX), along with calipers and brackets. Seems there's no reason not to go as big as possible, so WRX it is. Looking forward to this upgrade, not just because of the towing, but for the all-around improved braking performance, which is certainly a bit on the weak side right now.

Two last comments...your brake bias will change. I don't understand all the technical details, but Legacy777/Josh has a spreadsheet that provides the hard numbers, if interested. And remember you can't go back to smaller wheels. 15" won't clear the WRX brakes either.

Td

Yes indeed, according to my plans, and according to Legacy777's absolutely incredible spreadsheet, my proposed setup would have about a 32% forward bias. To me, that sounds like a lot, but I really have no idea what might be considered too much forward bias and I'm assuming it depends on a whole bunch of things. I may just go ahead as planned and see how it feels. I suppose I could always put in 2-pot calipers in the back and bigger rotors if the car somersaults when I hit the brakes. Looks like the local junkyard will have all my options covered.

i don't know anything about the bias and how it may change by using larger brakes on the front of the car, but i do know that the 95 lego, 97 GT, and the 97 obw all have the same rotors, calipers and pads on the rear. so you can swap in what ever you want.

Edited by johnceggleston

i don't know anything about the bias and how it may change by using larger brakes on the front of the car, but i do know that the 95 lego, 97 GT, and the 97 obw all have the same rotors, calipers and pads on the rear. so you can swap in what ever you want.

Don't want to go off topic but do you happen to know the size of stock 95 legacy front rotors.. are they 10 inch?