Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 loyale quick engine questions

Loyale info is pretty scarce on the web but im sure if anyone can help me its the members of the forum.

I have a 1991 Subie Loyale (what an Awesome car) 52000 Miles And im putting a new timing belt on it So while im into it i would like to do a few things-

-Maybe Advance the timing a bit??? Whats stock and whats safe?

- Make an homebrew intake, I can figure this one out but would love to see some pictures of what others have done better yet a snorkel

- I would also like to adjust the Valves How is this done?

Loyale info is pretty scarce on the web but im sure if anyone can help me its the members of the forum.

I have a 1991 Subie Loyale (what an Awesome car) 52000 Miles And im putting a new timing belt on it So while im into it i would like to do a few things-

-Maybe Advance the timing a bit??? Whats stock and whats safe?

It's done with the distributor - not with the timing belt. Timing belt is for valve timing - distributor is for ignition timing. In short - don't touch it. Stock timing is set to 20 degrees and is managed by the computer. It's already a 9.5:1 engine and the engine has no knock detection so can't pull timing if it's too advanced. You might get away with another 5 degree's if you run premium but it's really not worth it.

- Make an homebrew intake, I can figure this one out but would love to see some pictures of what others have done better yet a snorkel

This is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First and foremost the stock intake is 100% sufficient for a stock engine. Changing the intake can introduce unwanted resonance effects and eliminates the snorkel under the fender which is very effective at preventing you from sucking water into the engine and hydro-locking it. Again - no benefits other than a bunch of noise, worse filtration with a non-stock filter, and potential for engine damage. Leave it be.

- I would also like to adjust the Valves How is this done?

It is not done. They are hydraulic and no adjustment can be made. If you have valve ticking (tick of death, or TOD as it is refered to :rolleyes:) then you have oil delivery issues, bad pump/seals, or worn out lifters.

GD

It's a small displacement 4 cylinder - over 2k lbs of car will turn the engine over. When turned over slowly the cylinder compression is of little consequence.

That's why they included a parking brake. :rolleyes:

You aren't supposed to rely on the transmission to keep the car from rolling away. That's bad form. Putting it in gear in *addition* to the parking brake as well as pointing you wheels toward the curb is not a bad idea but the transmission alone is not going to hold it.

GD