Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I never thought I would get 21 mpg out of a car with 240K miles on the tranny and 115K on the engine!!!! Wooohooo All in town short trips. With the gas guage broken, I was afraid to go too much farther, so I filled it up today. I could have gone another 100 miles :banghead:

Congrats, jensen! I take it the car is performing reasonably well for you--you deserve it after all you went through!

As GD said, with a bit of "tuneup" and perhaps a new O2 sensor you should be able to do even better than 21mpg.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

@jenson0510 that's pretty good for a high mileage Subie!

21mpg for short "cold engine" trips is about right. I have a 97 2.2 that gets around 23 and a 01 2.5 that gets 21 if we drive it around town. If we go father they both jump up to 23-25. Highway gets better than that 2.5 = 28mpg & 2.2 = 30mpg. If we go on looooong trips (400-500 mile in one shot) 2.5 = 29-30 & 2.2 jumps to 32+mpg.

21mpg for short "cold engine" trips is about right. I have a 97 2.2 that gets around 23 and a 01 2.5 that gets 21 if we drive it around town. If we go father they both jump up to 23-25. Highway gets better than that 2.5 = 28mpg & 2.2 = 30mpg. If we go on looooong trips (400-500 mile in one shot) 2.5 = 29-30 & 2.2 jumps to 32+mpg.

crap, i've got to tune up my car. i can't get 25 on the hiway in my 97 outback. i have no idea what my wife's 97 gt gets.

Jeez! You guys need to check your sensors and tuneup stuff. My last DD EJ (besides my '91 Turbo :rolleyes:) was a '94 GT wagon and got 25 to 27 regularly and 30.5 on freeway trips.

My '83 hatch gets 27 around town and 31+ on the freeway and it's got over 260k on it, a low comp. cylinder, a tuned Weber, and I drive it like I stole it :).

Other than my EJ22T Legacy, I've never had a Subaru that couldn't get at least 25 in town and over 30 on the freeway.

My EJ22T get's 16 and runs premium..... and I wouldn't have it any other way :banana:

GD

I thought I remembered you guys posting higher mileage on some other posts I read. I do have a check engine light on, I read the code, but I think it was the evap sensor under the manifold. I have the one off the other engine I just haven't swapped it out yet to see if that clears it. You are probably right about the O2 sensor. I think I burned about a gallon of coolant out of the exhaust leftover from the old engine. Probably not good for the O2 :lol:

Where's the cheapest place to get an O2 from and is there more than one?

Thanks

Depends on the year - in any case the front O2 (before the cat) is the only one that matters for mixture control and thus fuel mileage. I use the NTK brand one's (made by NGK spark plugs) and they run about $75 for the EJ front O2's. Being that the car has 240k on it and the exhaust sounds original from what you are saying - if it hasn't been done in the last 100k then it probably needs a new one even without a code - they get slow to respond and cause mixture issues which reduces fuel economy.

Tire pressure, etc is also a factor. And a roof rack will grab about 2 MPG on the freeway.....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder