Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I decided to be a guinnia pig since subaru no lomger sold rebuilt halfshafts (that I could see on line) for Blu (1997 OB) I went to autozone and bough the top of the line rebuilt half shaft rrebuilt by cardonel Price was below 70.00. I had my mechanic install on the car (he is cheap) and dicovered I did not need a new rear wheel bearing (yay). There is no vibration transmitted to the car at idle. I can not swear what would happen with bith replaced, but I have no reason to suspect they would not work.

And Blu passed emissions at 278,000 miles.

MWE is the way to go nip. only a percentage of aftermarkets have issues, but it's a really high percentage and not worth the time for those who don't like to gamble. as strict as you are with maintenance, with experience you'll learn not to like aftermarkets. but of course anyone can gamble and get away with an aftermarket.

MWE is the way to go nip. only a percentage of aftermarkets have issues, but it's a really high percentage and not worth the time for those who don't like to gamble. as strict as you are with maintenance, with experience you'll learn not to like aftermarkets. but of course anyone can gamble and get away with an aftermarket.

When you need it fixed like yesterday, i did not have the time to wait.

Also I heard through the grapevine the Cardone rebuilt them for subaru but can not confirm.

I have bought two half shafts for two different Subies that I own. Both I bought from AZ with no problems. I realize they are not the best, and so some what of a quality gamble. However, the AZ store is a five minute drive from home, and so very convenient to shop there. My mechanic installs on the cheap, so buying from AZ works for me.

Last I knew cardone does remanufacture the axles for Subaru (in the EndWrench magazine they often have parts ads and they list who remanufactures the part for Subaru). But of course it does not necessarily mean that the rebuilt axle cardone sells to autozone is reman'd to the same spec as the ones they do for Subaru.

Was the axle put on the front, or on the rear? I haven't heard people complaining about axles on the rear, it's usually the ones on the front that cause the vibration issues.

Last I knew cardone does remanufacture the axles for Subaru (in the EndWrench magazine they often have parts ads and they list who remanufactures the part for Subaru). But of course it does not necessarily mean that the rebuilt axle cardone sells to autozone is reman'd to the same spec as the ones they do for Subaru.

Was the axle put on the front, or on the rear? I haven't heard people complaining about axles on the rear, it's usually the ones on the front that cause the vibration issues.

It is ALWAYS the front make the vibration due to the engine not the rears, unless some luck SOB has a mid engines subaru :)

Who, replacing a rear halfshaft. Does anyone actually do that?