Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need info on the 89 rx

I recently acquired an 89 rx with manual transmission and push button 4x4. I know from the other 80s wagons I have owned that the push button wasn't the best technology. I am interested in building this into a rally car, and I'm looking for people who have done so, or decided not to do so, and any relevant info anyone may have for me.

Specifically, what is the biggest motor I can drop into that car (without being a machinist), and can I put 15" wheels and brakes from a 97 outback on it? I don't think my car was ever a turbo, should I consider one for rally? I have heard not...

Looking forward to lots of happy wrenching....

You do not have an RX if it's not already a Turbo and a D/R 5 speed with locking center diff (if it's a push-button then it's not). Sounds like you have a plain old DL/GL non-turbo 5 speed to me. In '89 it should be a DL if it's a push-button. Though it could be a '90 and be a Loyale with a push-button.

Either that or you have some strange conglomeration of parts that's not stock. Sounds weird whatever it is. Maybe someone slapped RX decals on a plain 3 door coupe?

Maybe you have an XT?

If you are interested in building a rally car..... LOL. You have your work cut out. What you have is a body. Nothing about that car is going to work for rally. The engine sucks and produces 90 HP - the transmission is not the one you want - the suspension is 4 lug (no you can't use Outback rims - Legacy and up are 5 lug and the only rims that will fit the 4 lug are Pugeot's from the '80s)....

If you plan to rally it then you have a body and not a very stiff one at that. You will need to do a lot of reinforcing and gusseting. May as well just buy a WRX and figure out how to put your EA body on top of it's chassis.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

such a downer GD, he never said he wanted to build a fast rally car:lol:

but yea, sounds like either a tampered with rx or you meant XT

and if you meant XT, it's a terrible platform and will take it away for you at no cost. lol

i'd start sourcing XT6 hubs and what not for a 5 lug conversion and start saving/researching a EJ22 swap if your serious

best of luck!