Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone tried to steal my Loyale >:/

About two nights ago somebody broke into my Loyale and tried to rip off the ignition and they basically destroyed it. I cleaned it up a bit to where I can start it with a screw driver but I don't want to have it like this for long. How do I take the steering wheel and that whole assembly out??

Thanks in Advance!

taking a steering wheel off does not require a puller. loosen the nut almost all the way but dont take it off(unless you wanna bust out your teeth) pull hard, wiggle, and have somebody hit the nut HARD while doing so. be a man, itll work. ive done this several times with no ill effects.

RV

taking a steering wheel off does not require a puller. loosen the nut almost all the way but dont take it off(unless you wanna bust out your teeth) pull hard, wiggle, and have somebody hit the nut HARD while doing so. be a man, itll work. ive done this several times with no ill effects.

RV

Have you ever pulled the steering wheel off a EA82?

I've tried more than once in a wrecking yard, even used a puller once.

It bent the puller! I even beat on the end of the shaft with a hammer.....no dice.

I just pulled my RX wheel off and it was a beotch, even with the puller.

A EA81 comes off easy compared to a EA82.

+1 - EA82's in particular are a HUGE biotch.

Smacking the ends of shafts with hammers is not the approved removal method and while it might work, you can easily swell the end of the shaft, transfer the blow into the rack or steering u-joints, or otherwise F somthing all to hell.

Beating on things with hammers is almost never the right answer. Though putting pressure on it with a puller and giving the end of the puller a few love taps may be neccesary to dislodge them.

A real man uses his brain *as well* as his braun and gets the job done with the least effort and least collateral damage as possible.

EA81 and Justy wheels are not pressed. They just slide right off. Why they didn't do this with EA82 wheels is beyond me - I don't wish to crawl around inside the head of the man that thought up the idea of a press fit splined connection with a steering wheel on a light passenger car that has power steering...... no way that was the right answer but they did it anyway.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

+1 on ea82 steering wheels being a complete PITA. I bent the wheel pretty bad with the steering wheel puller before it actually came loose. Horrible setup...

Post up a pic of the damage. Why exactly does the wheel have to be removed?

Post up a pic of the damage. Why exactly does the wheel have to be removed?

Hhhmmm - maybe it doesn't on the EA82. IIRC they have a two-peice ign. lock that can be unbolted from the column - unlike the EA81's where they have to slide off the end of the column. Yeah now that I think on it you could probably leave the wheel on :rolleyes:

GD

+1 - EA82's in particular are a HUGE biotch.

Smacking the ends of shafts with hammers is not the approved removal method and while it might work, you can easily swell the end of the shaft, transfer the blow into the rack or steering u-joints, or otherwise F somthing all to hell.

Beating on things with hammers is almost never the right answer. Though putting pressure on it with a puller and giving the end of the puller a few love taps may be neccesary to dislodge them.

A real man uses his brain *as well* as his braun and gets the job done with the least effort and least collateral damage as possible.

EA81 and Justy wheels are not pressed. They just slide right off. Why they didn't do this with EA82 wheels is beyond me - I don't wish to crawl around inside the head of the man that thought up the idea of a press fit splined connection with a steering wheel on a light passenger car that has power steering...... no way that was the right answer but they did it anyway.

GD

I particularly dont give a rats rump roast when its a car in the PAP.

I bet you would (and have) do the same thing if my situation presented itself.

ya all of the steering wheels ive pulled are ea82(3 of em) they are really hard, but possible. ive bent a couple at PAP in half:lol: like i said: be a man, drink a beer and alternate wiggling side to side then up and down. a puller would have come in handy but then i wouldnt have had beer money

:drunk::headbang:

RV

****disclaimer****

if i were me or anyone else for that matter i would listen to the smarts of people like GD and turbone, theyve forgotten more about roos than ill prolly ever know. Luckily i havent ruined anything doing things the wrong way YET. a few well placed smacks are the way to go imo when not using a puller. do not go all gung ho smashing it till it lets go.

RV

ps much respect

The steering wheel does not have to come off on the EA82 to remove the ignition cylinder. You just have to wrestle the dead eye bolts out. I usually drill a little hole in the outside of one and use a punch to spin it around to get it out. When you put it back together just replace it with an M8 bolt.