Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 Brat miss when I change pedal

It only seems to do it when i change the gas pedal position quickly, and only when hot. If I hold steady, or move the pedal slowly, I don't notice it doing it. But when I let off, or push the pedal down quickly, the car does a quick buck(just once) like it just missed on 1+ cylinders, then continues on normally. Not sure what to make of it, any thoughts?

Edited by Speedwagon

It only seems to do it when i change the gas pedal position quickly, and only when hot. If I hold steady, or move the pedal slowly, I don't notice it doing it. But when I let off, or push the pedal down quickly, the car does a quick buck(just once) like it just missed on 1+ cylinders, then continues on normally. Not sure what to make of it, any thoughts?

Is the buck you feel a hesitation for second? Im wondering if your accelerator pump in your carb is not shooting the little jolt of fuel right when u press the gas. That would make it buck until it gets into the primary idle jet circuit.

Check the transmition mounts. My '86 was doing that, new mounts and she was good.

They are the newer 5 speed mounts, and I know them to be good.

Is the buck you feel a hesitation for second? Im wondering if your accelerator pump in your carb is not shooting the little jolt of fuel right when u press the gas. That would make it buck until it gets into the primary idle jet circuit.

Yea, that could be it. If the car sits for a few days, it has a hard time starting right up. I need to really pump the gas pedal to get it to start. If memory serves, the accelerator pump should come into play here too, yes?

Yea when your pumping the gas your shooting a little bit of fuel into the carb from the accelerator pump to prim the motor to fire. If its not doing it...it will be hard to start. Is this a stock hitachi or a weber or the god forsaken one barel carter-weber? If its not a weber 32/36 it might be time to go that direction. At the end of the day its just not worth the bother most of the time for the hitachi and its DEF not worth any bother for the one barrel unless your going for some sort of concourse restoration.