Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air conditioning no go at idle but at 5mph and up awesome..

It will either be a in line clog of some kind or dirty condenser. Do you do any off-roading? I am not sure if you have an orifice tube, but that is a possibility.(orifice tubes are basically filters inside the lines) Can you find out why it's cutting out? High limit switch would be my guess.

It will either be a in line clog of some kind or dirty condenser. Do you do any off-roading? I am not sure if you have an orifice tube, but that is a possibility.(orifice tubes are basically filters inside the lines) Can you find out why it's cutting out? High limit switch would be my guess.

I dont do much offroading, I live on a gravel road and sometimes just the drive to and from home can be just as harry as off-roading.. Condensor and radiator are squeaky clean, wash all the cars once a week. I wouldnt think that the high pressure switch would be kicking on at idle, it would be hard for me to believe it would be having a high enough pressure to kick off at idle but not at speed.. I was under the impression orifice tubes were a way of converting volume to pressure and vice versa..

What im trying to figure out is whats the deal with the trip sensor and reluctor ring on the compressor clutch?

I'm assuming that model had electric radiator fans? Are they coming on with the A/C? Sometimes if you don't get cold air when stopped, but then do get cold air when the vehicle starts moving, it's because the fans aren't coming on. If it is cycling like crazy it could indicate a low refrigerant charge too.