Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Legacy 2.5 ltr. - On my third set of a crank seal and cam cap seal after being standed in PA by it. Will never be able to have the comfort of knowing it may not happen again. The cam seal was torn....I'll blame the mechanic.......but the crank seals are "pushing out". What could be the cause? These don't appear to be OEM and a cursory look everybody is saying use OEM. Is at a Subaru dealer now so should be getting OEM. Just wanted to collect some other opinions. Have had the oil pump replaced and timimg belt. This is quite disturbing as once again I will never have the piece of mind back escpecially on long trips. hate to see my Subie go with olny 80K on it.

It's common for the oil pump's screws (on the back of the pump) to get loose. If that happens, oil leaks out and builds up pressure. The pressure can push out the crank seal. I've heard that happened to a few folks.

Yes, the oil pump needs to be removed and the screws on the rotor cover tightened and loctited in place. When they loosen it can allow oil to flow along the crank and then push out the crank seal.

The crank and cam seals should be genuine Subaru seals. They are not expensive and sometimes the aftermarket seals have issues. Obviously if the crank or cams got scratched during the R&R of the seals that can rip/damage the seals too.

These are the rotor cover screws:

oilpump-rev1-md.jpg

The good stuff:

camseal1obv.jpg

If you want genuine seals ShawnW on here can probably hook you up.

Oh I am seeing you said the oil pump was replaced. In that case make sure the oil pump to block o-ring was new, genuine Subaru, and the proper sealant was used. Otherwise I am thinking it could possibly allow oil to move along the crank and push out the crank seal.

Also inspect the crank snout and make sure it is even and doesn't have any scratches. It must be smooth so it doesn't damage the seal.

mickeyinstalled1.jpg

even with a "new" pump those backing plate screws should be checked while it's apart.

i'd also replace the PCV valve - it's only a couple dollars and takes 5 minutes. if it's clogged it doesn't allow pressure to release from the crankcase. generally it pushes oil out of places, not seals but at this point you need anything you can get.