Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat (the ongoing project)

I picked this up in 2003. Needless to say it was rough, it now has all new panels and paint, just about everything you could think of doing to a brat it's been done. Recently it stopped running (it keeps vapor locking all the time) So instead of replacing the fuel pump I'm thinking a 2.2. I have a complete 2000 Impreza with a five speed (I want to do the trans as well) I was just wondering if anyone had put a new style 2.2 in a EA body and if they fit? If not i have plenty of other engines lying around...

23514_103697842993322_100000593209948_104814_8168158_n.jpg?t=1283260295

100_0552.jpg?t=1283260295

And this is it today!

DSC00970.jpg?t=1283260295

First off, it looks Damned Good Brother.

Secondly check the Subaru retrofitting section for a full write up on swapping an EJ motor into our EA body. It can and has been done many time and Numbchux has an Excellent write up on it.

You can also ask around about what might be causing your vapor lock. Might be easier to swap out your carb for a Weber 32/36. Do a little searching on here and you will find more info than you will ever use! :D

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the complements! It already has the weber swap, and i just rebuilt the top half of the engine, new valves and all, for some reason I have never been able to get this brat to run right, this is the third engine I have had in it (one of witch was a rare Ea81t :lol:) It was crazy fast but I never could keep it running so i went back to the carb and it's still not running with a normal ea81.

I am going to take a stab in the dark but is your fuel line regulated, may have too much pressure. And on another note was it a new weber or rebuilt could be a problem with the choke or the wrong weber.. I always assumed my dieseling @ shut down was a problem with vapor lock lock but it turns out there is a solenoid that you can get to cut the fuel when the car is shut down specifically for that purpose. I hope you find your fix. The power would be great but then you are just trading headaches later on.

Mike

i don't know many people that live in VT. That have these cars and are into them most of them rusted out ten years ago up here so actually having one on the road is rare as it is! And it is a brand new weber, i was thinking that the jetting could be wrong as well because (when its running) has wicked hesitation right at cruising speeds, you can step on the gas around 50 and it just falls on its face, where as my wagon i put my webber on and its ran great forever! This Brat just seems to me my problem child! Also the fuel pressure is not regulated and it has all new line because someone had messed with them and the ran near the exhaust so i though the fuel was boiling in the lines, but after all new lines its still gets locked. Another thought i had was, i had my tank recoated, and if the pickup tube inside got messed up it could be sucking air or creating bubbles or something like that.

Edited by 1982gl4