Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof rack, brush guard and off road acessories

DC493

I'm building all my off road equipment and I just need a little advice

And help on building it, what kind of metal to use for this?

What kind of brush guard would be best and can i attach a skid plate?

Also, and finally where can I find sheets of diamond plate metal?

Please post pictures so i can get an idea of where to start.

Thanks in advance

First of all - do you have these tools?

Welder

Torch/Bandsaw/plasma cutter

Drill/Drill press

Tubing bender

etc....

If not - the biggest question you need to ask is "How can I gain access to or aquire at least the basics for metal-working."

Once you have done that - the rest should fall into place pretty readily. The act of aquireing, borrowing, and learning to use these things will neccesarily put you into contact with the people and places that can answer those trivial questions about material types and sources. Besides - how can we tell you where to get metal if we don't know where you are? :rolleyes:

GD

88subie that looks great, I like the lift.

Are those stock rims?? I've been looking for rims for my Loyale without switching it to 5 lug.

And GD I do have all that stuff I just need metal, And I'm located in Albuquerque, New Mexico There's not much out here besides dirt.

Google shows lots of steel yards in and around your area.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA&wrapid=tlif12664409935222&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Albuquerque,+New+Mexico+metal+tubing&fb=1&gl=us&hq=metal+tubing&hnear=Albuquerque,+NM&view=text&ei=nAKATMKXC4S8sAPP6OT0Cg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQtQMwAA

I am quite sure that more than one of those places carries tubing, channel, and sheet goods in a mind boggliing array of sizes and shapes. Just call around.

Cutting up old bed frames..... that's ghetto and frankly more trouble than it's worth most days. Steel is CHEAP and you might as well start with straight, flat sections and do what you like with it.

As for rims - if you can pickup some cheap Pugs then they aren't a bad way to go - but go for the steel's if you are wheeling. Otherwise the 6 lug conversion makes more sense for a wheeler and is easy.

GD

Ok thanks I'm gonna give them a call hopefully they'll have diamond plate steel along with the tubing.

And what about skid plates?

I was told I had to make a custom bumper, which i don't mind doing but is it worth it?

Thanks

Personally I would use aluminium diamond plate - it's lighter.

Yes - anything you want for a bumper, etc is going to have to be custom. There is no aftermarket for these cars.

Worth it? Well - depends on what you are doing with it. Personally to me a brush gaurd and winch mount are worth it off-road. Skid plate too - definitely want to protect the exhaust, oil pan, etc.

GD

So I'm going with Aluminum diamond plate steel and the bumper is something new, I'll post pictures when it's done.

Brysawn your roof rack looks like it's coming along great.

Thanks Markus for the links really appreciate it.

Final touch on interior is rally netting all around :grin: