Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-speed D/R questions

I'm a little confused, in the second picture, the top stick; it goes in and out with 3 locations which I thought were fwd, 4high, and 4 low.

No - that's the gear selector and it also twists. If you play with it you will see there are 6 distinct locations it will notch into.

The foremost stick in the first picture, it doesn't seem to click into any gear, and/or pull in/out.

It pulls in/out - it's just tighter than you think. It operates both the 4WD engagement system as well as the low range idler gear at the front of the transmission

Trust me on this - I've had more than a few of these apart :rolleyes:

Also, they are vans authentics, not converse :grin:

Ah I see - don't remember Vans - I must be too old for those. :).

GD

It's very simple - you use the 5 speed gear selector in it's entirety - just bolt it up to the stud on the body. The front of the tray bolts to the tranny.

For the 4WD selector you use the 4 speed assembly (again - in it's entirety) and add exactly 1" of rod to the middle of the selector lever that runs to the tranny. You pin it to the 5 speed using the same pin it used on the 4 speed.

Thread the old 4 speed knob onto the 5 speed gear shifter and no one will be able to tell you have a 5 speed. It looks 100% stock inside and you don't need to cobble together a bunch of 5 speed console parts and make your interior look like frankenstein.

Just buy Jerry's kit - all that stuff is taken care of for you and his price of $100 is beyond reasonable for what you get and how little work you will have to do. If you don't have access to a welder and fabrication skills, etc - Jerry's kit is a time and money saving opportunity that you should not pass up. Trust me - I've put more 5 speed's into EA81's than the majority of the regular poster's on this board.

GD

Very good stuff here, I am looking to do a 5-speed DR into my Gen2 brat. Please forgive my noobness, but how can I contact Jerry to buy one of his kits?

sorry for the thread hijack brysawn, your project seems to be coming along, keep up the good work.