Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjust timing on ea81 swap.

I'm wondering how to adjust the timing on my car 89GL. It has an ea81 swapped into the stock SPFI. Using the ea82 disty and ea82 flywheel. Since it has the ea82 flywheel it doesn't have the right timing marks. I have no idea how it was set originally since I wasn't the one who swapped it. I has this really funky retaining system too... anyway, I'm not sure the timing is correct and would like to check/adjust so I can get the best mileage/power etc.

Thanks for help!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting a few days to ask this ... thanks for getting for forum back up guys!! :banana:

I pulled the plug on the #1 cyl, turned the engine to it's compression stroke. I made sure it was the comp stroke by pulling the disty cap off, and when the electrode on the rotor pointed to the #1 pole I figured that's the #1 comp stroke.

I did the straw thing to find TDC, and TDC comes out to almost exactly 10 DBTDC on the ea82 flywheel. Does that sound correct? Is it supposed to be that close? Or am I doing something wrong?

Another question, the disty is turned to far to get the retaining bolt in. Am I correct in thinking that I can just take the disty out, and put it back in twisted. Making sure not to let the rotor/gear turn relative to the disty? In my mind that doesn't mess anything up, just checking to make sure I can do that.

Thanks for all the help! I'm still new to playing with distributors and timing. I'm used to the EJ stuff with digital timing.

I've been waiting a few days to ask this ... thanks for getting for forum back up guys!! :banana:

Another question, the disty is turned to far to get the retaining bolt in. Am I correct in thinking that I can just take the disty out, and put it back in twisted. Making sure not to let the rotor/gear turn relative to the disty? In my mind that doesn't mess anything up, just checking to make sure I can do that.

Thanks for all the help! I'm still new to playing with distributors and timing. I'm used to the EJ stuff with digital timing.

Cant help you with the first one but with the distributor issue yes thats correct. If you keep the rotor in the same spot relative to the distributor (so it still lines up where its supposed to with the points on the cap) then you can drop it back in one tooth over one way or the other to get it to bolt down.

If that's the case - use 10 as your new zero and set the timing to 20 (30 for you). Should be good to go.

GD

I was hoping you'd chime in :)

I wasn't sure if that was the 10* thing was the norm, or if that's just how mine ended up. I guess I was assuming it would end up in the blank space for some reason... Not on one of the marks. I didn't realize it could end up in different places on the flywheel like that. Anyway, I'm glad all my questions are cleared up!!! I'll add 10 more degrees after 20*, mark it, and get it timed right! Thanks so much to everyone who's given me help with this. You guys are awesome :banana:

I can't wait to finally hear my little ea81 purr. Great little motor.

This is probably a really stupid question, but how the heck am I supposed to SEE the timing mark and it spins by? I made a nice visible mark with white chalk. and I can't for the life of me see it as it passes by. What does everyone else use?

There's a little orange paint mark at 20* on the flywheel from the previous owner, how did he see that? I don't get it...

ah ha... I guess I can borrow one tomorrow from my friend. I was just gonna pull the plug wire so I could see it spark as the mark went by... I tried shining a flashlight at it, but didn't work. I guess once I get the light it'll all make sense...

thanks