Ultimate Subaru Message Board

nice, I will hopefully have the cash next month to do all the work and I would rather you do it/show me the way, than take it to someone who knows nothing about them. Do you think it would be wise to do the front wheel bearings while in the hub? just for safety measures, car has 140k and I really dont think they have ever been done.

No - you don't touch wheel bearings on EJ's unless they actually fail. Often they go the life of the car without failure. They are also a raging biotch to do and prohibitively expensive to want to do them without any need. They really just don't fail too often though (except those Forester rear's :rolleyes:). The CV part of the job is so easy that it's not even really getting you closer with respect to labor on the bearing job - the CV is changed without removeing any of the brake hardware or disturbing the hub, etc. It's just a single nut on the end of the axle, pop the ball joint out of the knuckle, and knock out the roll pin on the tranny end. I can probably have one out in 5 minutes most days - not including putting the car on jack stands :rolleyes:. Depends though - somtimes you run into spline rust, or naughty pinch bolts on the knuckle.... etc. I just usually say 1 hour per wheel to be safe. And I don't do fractional hours when I bill. Setup and tear-down takes time too.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder