Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 months later...

next week sometime i'm going to change all 4 struts Im going to leave the strut mounts in place only thing is on like little joint cracks in the road I get this dull metal sound and it's pretty loud at least from listening at the drivers side.

I'm not sure if it's the drivers side strut or something else

Sure.

What do you mean leave the top hats in place? You have to remove them from the car to swap to the new struts. Well maybe you don't HAVE to but it's a lot easier to use a spring compressor when the assembly is off the car.

I'm talking about the bump stops.. look on page 2 it's so the strut wont bottom out.

I had planned to order 4 new today from rockauto but something came up.

next week sometime i'm going to change all 4 struts Im going to leave the strut mounts in place only thing is on like little joint cracks in the road I get this dull metal sound and it's pretty loud at least from listening at the drivers side.

I'm not sure if it's the drivers side strut or something else

That's what I was talking about. :confused:

The "Sure" was for the bump stops. Probably don't even need those at all to be honest, but they can be helpful in some extreme situations.

I'm not sure where I saw it but they were referring to the strut mounts.. (don't see how it effects anything) to mount the strut that's easy the perch says OUT on it.. it took me so long today because it never got any higher then 38F and plus we had a light wind.

I'm hoping Monday I can do the rest of the 3.