Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to replace the caliper on my 95 Impreza /2.2/AWD/L. It looks IDENTICLE to my 95 Legacy/2.2/AWD/LS. It also seems to be the same as my 95 Impreza/1.8/FWD/L 14" wheels. However there a a zillon choices between these cars.

Is the 95 Legacy the same as my 95 Impreza AWD? I know the pads are the same on all 3 vehicles.:-\ Oh the confusion.

Todd

I realize that they may appear similar, but unless the part numbers are the same, they won't be. You need to have identical calipers on both sides of the car for even, straight braking. If one caliper is seized, replace it with an identical one with an identical part number.

If you choose to use a different caliper (part number) then change the other side caliper to that same part number as well. (Realize that right and left side calipers have similar part numbers that will be different by one or two digits, to identify which side of the car they mount on.)

I hope this all makes sense?

Probably the same if they are both single-piston calipers on cars with 14" wheels - but measure the piston diameter with a caliper just to be sure. Remember it will be in Milimeters for the measurement to make the most sense. If that's the same and it bolts up - then they should work regardless if the part numbers are different.

GD

The slide pin on the caliper bracket might be different but the caliper seemed to be the same. I did both calipers from a Legacy when I swapped them on my 95 just in case there was something internally different. Worked fine but as I said I had to move the caliper bracket over too.

Subaru part numbers don't always mean a whole lot and sometimes they are a terrific tool. Sometimes its the same thing just maybe installed or built in a Japanese factory vs US factory, etc.