Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A friend of mine has a 98 outback wagon that is haveing a troque bind issue. The AT TEMP light flashes 16 times at startup and I wasn't sure what that meant. Can anyone give me an idea as to the code it is giving him.

The torque bind problem I can fix, but I want to fix whatever else is going on at the same time.

Thanks

Mike

of course you never know unless you pull the codes but flashing light may mean the duty C is failing, so possibly a duty C code.

if you insert the FWD fuse and the torque bind goes away that usually means the duty C is fine. if you insert the FWD fuse and nothing happens then the Duty C is probably hosed. if you find the Duty C is hosed from that test then the flashing light is probably related to that.

the AT light always blinks 16 times for any transmission code. the 16 flashes of the AT light at start up is equivalent to the check engine light. it, by itself, doesn't tell you anything more than there's a fault detected. you have to go through a sequence to retrieve the actual fault code.

the annoying part is the AT initiation sequence is a total PITA. put in drive, turn on car, open door, put in park, close door, shift to neutral, jump in a creek...i don't know what it is but folks have posted it on here before. probably take a couple tries to get it to work.

once you get it to work it'll flash each code one at a time (if multiples, though probably just one). the first set of long flashes are 10 each, the second set of short flashes are 1 each. so a code 13 will have 1 long flash, then 3 shorts. just like reading check engine lights on older EA/ER series stuff which you're probably familiar with.

make sense? if you're familiar with the old stuff it's exactly like that.

i've seen it mentioned on here before as well, google came up with this good through 2009 models:

http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/SubaruTRANS/SUBARU-TRANS-LEGACY-PRE.php

some tips from folks that have done it would probably be nice as one little thing out of sequence is easy.

i wonder if it's mentioned in the FSM's? seems like it should be but i can't recall ever seeing it?

it may have been covered in one of the links, i didn't read them, but to read the trans codes for a 98 you have to ground out pin #5 on the black connector, b82, under the dash at or to the right of the steering column.

the jump down, spin around, put you right foot, put you right foot out, do the hokie pokie, procedure is for cars with a power or manual button, ie: 90 - 94.

I had the 16 AT flash. It was the Duty C Solenoid alright. The actual solenoid costs around $100 and comes with a small gasket for it and a large gasket for the trans extension housing. Also get some Red Permatex.

It takes a while to get into the extension housing. You have to remove the exhaust pipe, the central drive shaft and them the many bolts for the trans extension housing. Once you pry open the housing you'll see the solenoid. Remove the old, put in the new with the gasket and permatex, put on the new large gasket and permatex and them put everything back together.

I started one night around 11pm and finished around 6pm. I worked pretty much straight and one of the senior mechanics helped me put it all back together. We stopped for coffee a few times.

I've done the duty C solenoid and it only took me around 2.5 hours on a lift.

This truned out to be a poorly tuned throttle position sensor. He had taken it off and put it back on in the incorrect position. Once he fixed that all of the trans problems went away.

Thanks for all of the advice and now I know how to retreive the codes.