Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Stereo for the EA82

-> This can be a helpful thread for people who wants to replace the stock stereo on their EA81 or EA82. I've tried the search button before posting this thread. :)

-> Long time no see guys! I have a question on which aftermarket or factory stereo that is compatible for the EA82. I'm aware the EA82 has a weird fitment for the head unit. So now I'm tired of my stock system with no CD/Cassette player. :(

^ I will update the thread on any compatible factory or aftermarket recommended by USMB. (potential to be stickied)

This has been covered monthly for years. Any DIN deck with the adaptor kit availible at any stereo shop - or you can make your own.

GD

^ Apologies for creating a new thread. So it will work with any regular 1 DIN deck? Because I saw some pics here in USMB that the stereos are sticking out like a swollen banana. :confused:

or if you are crafty and don't care about having a cd player... I am all mp3 now!

=Pic=

^ Thats a pretty flushed set up! Nice!

I have that same deck in my hatch now ($37+free shipping from Amazon!) and it's great. Mostly because it's so short and does not stick out. Here's my install (EA81 but the same problem with depth exists on both):

new_console4.jpg

A regular DIN deck will stick out about 2" and thus you need the kit to properly install them. Yes it's ugly - the only other good solution is to use a shallow-mount deck like the Dual XR4110 (search for it on Amazon). It's a "mechless" deck so it has no CD or Cassette capability. It is 100% digital instead - takes SD cards, USB flash drives, and of course the AUX jack for your iPod, etc.

GD