Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My son has a 95 Impreza that we just put a new 2.2 engine in. Car runs and drives like brand new, in fact I think it runs better than my 2001 3.0 Outback. Now he wants to be like the rest of the young guys and have a muffler with some sound to it. Problem is here in small town Beckley WV the cops dont like loud mufflers and give these kids tickets for it. So what can my crazy boy put on there that would still be legal and give the 2.2 a good sound ???? Me myself I like it quiet so I can hear the engine if anything goes wrong. You cant hear a thing if the radio is blasting and the muffler is loud. lol thanks

Reminds me when I was a kid. I wanted a loud exhaust system, so people could hear me coming. Like mentioned, a straight through system will give a little noise, without being super loud.

Suggest not buying one of those extra large chrome mufflers attached to the exhaust at the rear bumper, sometimes known as a "fart can." All they do is magnify the exhaust sound, and what comes out just sounds extra loud and really boomy. You prolly have seen and heard them before. Their racket really attacks the cops. Be sure to tell your son that, even at a young age, he will realize that he doesn't want to be attracting unwanted attention from the cops.

I have a 97 impreza with the 2.2 in it. When I was 16 I bought a borla cat back system. It sounds really nice, when you are at idle you can't hear the exhaust at all, and it has a nice low rumble till about 4500-5k rpms then it starts to get a little louder but it never sounds like the coffee can ricer exhausts you hear.

It was expensive, but I definitely enjoyed my purchase.

http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=14885