Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dogbone bolt missing 1994 Legacy

Hello. So I was going through my '94 Legacy wagon and I noticed the bolt between the dogbone and the engine is missing. Is this bolt critical? Can I just get a bolt of the right size and put it in there or is it some special fancy bolt with some kind of setup procedure?

I think this soob had a remanufactured Subaru transmission installed at some point based on vehicle history, and the transmission is painted grey, which I see Subaru says they do to their reman'd transmissions. I'm assuming when it was reinstalled the dogbone bolt wasn't put back in.

Also I cannot find the FWD fuse on this thing. It is simply not where it is supposed to be, or anywhere for that matter. I'm guessing that has to do with the remanufactured trans as well.

Engine side you just get a proper diameter and length grade 5 or better bolt and lock nut should do the trick.

Rear side of the passenger strut tower. Little black rectangle with a flip up cap. It might not say anything on it. I've seen them with the paint gone because someone sprayed the engine bay down with some serious kind of degreaser or brake cleaner or something.

Thanks for the info. I had some 3/8" grade 8's. They are the right diameter but they're too long. So I'll pick up a shorter one and hopefully be good to go. Maybe I should leave it out though.....it just feels like if I put a bolt in there something will happen shortly thereafter requiring me to remove it (and a lot of other stuff).......... :grin:

I know what you mean. I have developed a theory that if you leave one small thing broken on the car you can go for years without any other trouble. And when you finally fix that small thing, something major will go wrong. :lol:

I've been bothered lately because the CEL that has been on in my car for the past 11 months has been out for 3 weeks... :eek: like it cured itself!