Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to find metric bolts

Aside from the dealer, Ace Hardware has a pretty good selection of metric flange bolts in most of their stores. Otherwise maybe a Fastenal or a place like that if you have one around. Carquest locations usually have a pretty good selection. Also tractor supply is usually pretty good. Or I have noticed tractor / farm equipment places usually have good hardware.

+1 on Ace Hardware. That is where I bought my last metric bolts/nuts. They even offer metric in stainless steel, which I bought.

Since you are using to affix the alternator, if you can't find in metric, you could substitute in SAE, if simply used to hold a bracket in place.

That bolt is reverse (left hand) thread IIRC (the one for the belt tensioner right?) - thus you can't just buy one from any hardware store. Best to get one from a board member, junk yard, or the dealer.

Even a specialty fastener dealer would probably have a hard time with that one. I'll tell you right now that ACE hardware is going to be a fail.

If I had to solve this without the actual Subaru part - my solution would be left-hand metric all-thread and two jam-nuts for the head :rolleyes:. You won't like the price of left hand metric all-thread though - or how long it will take to order some :lol:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

That's a good idea, especially for the more critical fasteners. I use Ace's metric fasteners for 'non critical' things such as holding the air intake in place, and low load things like that. I'm not sure I'd want to use it in a critical application. Good quality fasteners of good materials are not cheap especially as the size of the fastener increases, so getting a nice assortment from a salvage yard soob would be a nice little collection to have. Of course around this rust belt area just getting any fastener off the poor old soobs is a major victory.

And if you buy metric bolts from a hardware store, it is useful to know that:

- Metric Grade 8.8 is equivalent to an ASTM A325 high-strength bolt (the metric bolt will have '8.8' stamped on the head - the A325 bolt will have three radial marking on the head).

-Metric grade 5.8 is equivalent to a run-of-the-mill alloy-steel bolt (nothing special); watch out that you don't shear it off when tightening!

Right on, iirc the metric grade 8.8 is not as strong as the SAE grade 8. Most of the Subaru fasteners we deal with are JIS flange bolts I think I was reading.

I stopped by Ace today. I didn't see any left hand threaded metric bolts. But I did notice they increased their selection of metric fasteners since last time I was there. They now had some black oxide finished 10.9 bolts as well. But metric fasteners are a lot more common now than they used to be on things people would be dealing with such as their lawn mowers, garden tractors, etc.